Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Upper Register Notes "ring"

Postby devidasa » 28 Feb 2021, 02:07

Hi. I recently received my Nord Grand. One "behavior" I find odd that concerns me...

on the piano samples I've tried (White, Royal Grand, Silver)....about an octave and a half down from the high end of the board (usually the F or G)...from those notes to the highest have an abrupt increase of long reverb. I simply play the note and release....the notes resonate far longer than the E note and lower directly below them. Turning off string resonance does not change the behavior.

Is this intentional? Any way for me to edit this...and remove it?
Last edited by devidasa on 28 Feb 2021, 02:13, edited 1 time in total.
devidasa

Upper Register Notes "ring"

Sponsor

Re: Upper Register Notes "ring"

Postby FZiegler » 28 Feb 2021, 02:32

Hi devidasa,

sometimes you are scared about things that are normal - it's just because you are in another situation so that you just don't realise it's normal. If you are sitting in front of an acoustic grand or upright, you always hear it that way: The strings are so short, there is no space for the damper. But in front of a digital piano, you want to remove that changement. You can't. Your pianos are sampled as is. Like the original ones. And that's how they sound.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars

The author FZiegler was thanked by:
devidasa
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby devidasa » 28 Feb 2021, 03:06

Thanks FZiegler. I would have expected the shift to be more gradual. A half step on a few samples ... or a whole step on a few samples....and the resonance difference is night and day. I should take a course on the basics of acoustic piano construction. ;)
Last edited by devidasa on 28 Feb 2021, 03:26, edited 2 times in total.
devidasa

Postby FZiegler » 28 Feb 2021, 09:30

In the deepest register, the piano has one thick chord for a note. Some notes above, there are two chords per note - not so thick any more. At least the upper half of the keys, I think, has three chords per note - more and more thin. And higher the tone, the shorter the strings. And as the damper in the lower registers will stop the chord(s) ringing when you release the key, there isn't any to stop the tone in the highest register. It won't sound very long, anyway, and just will fade out. Mechanical tradition from centuries. The Nord samples reproduce those details: And of course, there are no gradual steps in that point.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum