Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Tips on using drive in EQ?

Postby skylerocean » 28 Jan 2021, 19:54

Has anyone gotten decent results using the EQ Drive? I don't know if it's just me, but anything back 6 on the dial just sounds really bad to my ears. I have a hard time putting into words why it sounds bad and what makes a drive sound good on other boards/effects, but this just sounds too thin/digital and it breaks up to the point where it's just not useable.

I've found better results playing with the Filter drive, but man I really miss the drive/amp sims on the Stage for this board :(

Nord Wave 2
Nord Stage Classic
skylerocean

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Tips on using drive in EQ?

Sponsor

Re: Tips on using drive in EQ?

Postby DJKeys » 28 Jan 2021, 21:01

Hi-

This has been my only complaint with my NW2. The EQ drive is weak, and you need to fiddle with the frequency and waveform to get good results. The EQ drive in the NS3 affect the overall sound in a much more uniform way. I also get better results with the filter drive. Hopefully Nord can address this in a future OS update.

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

The author DJKeys was thanked by:
Marlowes
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby tsss27 » 30 Jan 2021, 06:09

Tips on using drive:

Get an external stereo drive pedal.

Ok, not what you wanted to hear, but honestly it will provide a much better result. The only limitation is if you want to use delay or reverb on the Nord, that will also be distorted so you'd want those external as well... The drive on the Wave is not good in my opinion, the Stage has actual amp simulation in it which makes a huge difference.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Postby CraigW » 08 Feb 2021, 20:41

DJKeys wrote:Hi-

This has been my only complaint with my NW2. The EQ drive is weak, and you need to fiddle with the frequency and waveform to get good results. The EQ drive in the NS3 affect the overall sound in a much more uniform way. I also get better results with the filter drive. Hopefully Nord can address this in a future OS update.

-dj

Just picked up a NW2 and could not agree with you more. Nord, hoping for a future OS update here as well.
CraigW

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby skylerocean » 25 Feb 2021, 02:55

tsss27 wrote:Tips on using drive:

Get an external stereo drive pedal.

Ok, not what you wanted to hear, but honestly it will provide a much better result. The only limitation is if you want to use delay or reverb on the Nord, that will also be distorted so you'd want those external as well... The drive on the Wave is not good in my opinion, the Stage has actual amp simulation in it which makes a huge difference.

Yes the amp sim is SO much better than drive. I just feel like the drive is absolutely useless everytime i try to use it.

Nord Wave 2
Nord Stage Classic
skylerocean

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Return to Nord Wave Forum