Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

Re: Vibrato and Chorus "Normal / Soft" tab

Postby analogika » 23 Feb 2021, 12:09

The "normal"/"soft" tab is NOT a vibrato/chorus setting.

It lowers the overall volume of the organ drastically and cuts the bass a bit. It's never used, because it makes the organ sound thin and quiet — basically a "late at night neighbour-friendly" setting.

Sort of how upright piano samples never include the middle-pedal drop felt in front of the hammers that makes it sound like s*** when engaged.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
Spider
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby Rusty Mike » 23 Feb 2021, 15:10

From what I recall, the normal/soft tab works in conjunction with the percussion, and not C/V. The “Normal” setting keeps the sound of the organ the same when percussion is engaged, while the “Soft” setting reduces it in order to bring the percussion effect out more.

The true Hammond players can correct me on that one, but I believe that’s how it works. I am not an expert on this.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby Rusty Mike » 23 Feb 2021, 16:12

Ahh, got it. Thank you for the correction!

I never realized it, but my M3 has the same tab. I've never touched it LOL!
Last edited by Rusty Mike on 23 Feb 2021, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby Spider » 23 Feb 2021, 17:45

It is as Analogika says: the "Volume" indication on that tab refers to the global volume of the organ, not to the Chorus/Vibrato volume.
It is not modeled in clonewheels, simply because they have a volume knob.
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Bjosko » 23 Feb 2021, 18:07

I used to use it when I used my Hammond in my band (lot of use here :lol: ). In combination with drawbars when we tried to fade out a song. As others pointed out, no need for it on a clone, as they have a volume knob.
/Bjørn
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby LeftyBass68 » 05 Apr 2021, 18:37

Soft is for pads,comps etc.Normal......is when the v21 Leslie driver is in real danger of exploding.No aftermarket cheekblock add on here.
Solos are instantly heard through the use of the volume normal tab.Great for saving your hips if you stand and operate an expression pedal for forty years.
It's the 'solo' tab on many 'recased' touring Hammonds.Also can be rewired to exclude the bass rolloff.
As an expression pedal opens up the tone thins considerably on a real B3.A quick look at the air gap vanes inside the 'doghouse' confirm the use of a rolloff 'cap'.
Those that stand and play find it convenient to rock a tab rather than stomp a pedal.
Engage the perc normal tab and lose 12db of 'beef' on your drawbars?
On a real B3 the mod is a simple resistor bypass in the matching transformer.Nord should pay more attention to the B3.This E2/61 is still better than both these Stage 3's.
C2D still the best Nord organ clone IMO. Stage 3 Compact B3 routed through the 'real' Hammond A102 preamp RCA input sounds fine.Really needs the AO28 preamp......Stage 3 organs are lame in comparison and need help.
Just happen to have the fix here.....a real Hammond and Leslie.Haha
NS3C NS2EX88 C2D Yamaha MOX8 Behringer Model D (5) Behringer Neutron (5) Roland Lucina AX9 12 Hammonds/Leslies.(BV/BCV/B2/3 A100's/M3/M102 etc.

The author LeftyBass68 was thanked by:
Spider
LeftyBass68

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby SynMike » 24 Apr 2021, 11:18

analogika wrote:The "normal"/"soft" tab is NOT a vibrato/chorus setting.

It lowers the overall volume of the organ drastically and cuts the bass a bit. It's never used, because it makes the organ sound thin and quiet — basically a "late at night neighbour-friendly" setting.

Sort of how upright piano samples never include the middle-pedal drop felt in front of the hammers that makes it sound like s*** when engaged.

Yes, this switch lowers the total volume of the whole organ.

It's very useful for a church setting. My first Hammond, that I first played when I was 15, was the C3 in my church. On a real Hammond, the expression pedal does not reduce the volume all the way to no sound. You set the tab to Normal for playing in the normal range with other instruments, choir, church congregation singing etc. A Hammond with a real Leslie is loud, able to compete with drums and brass. But when you want to play organ behind someone speaking (as is done regularly in some churches), the range of control is very limited at the bottom end of the pedal range and also might not go low enough. So to play quietly, you flip the tab to Soft mode, and now you still have a comfortable and controllable dynamic range on the expression pedal.
Last edited by SynMike on 24 Apr 2021, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
SynMike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum