Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

external keyboard controller with usb

Postby manurgolo » 20 Feb 2021, 11:57

Hey! I need to hook up a controller to the electro 6 to play pianos and e.pianos, the thing is, the controller only sends midi signals via usb, and the nord receives them via the midi connector, is there any piece of equipment I can put in the middle of both so that the signal out of the usb port from the controller gets to the midi-in port of the nord? If so, I dont care about any extra features, so the simplest "device" that could do the job would work for me. Thanks!
manurgolo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

external keyboard controller with usb

Sponsor

Re: external keyboard controller with usb

Postby Hlaalu » 20 Feb 2021, 12:26

Hi, you need one of these: https://www.thomann.de/it/kenton_midi_usb_host.htm

There are cheaper solutions possibly, but still it's a non negligible price.
Hlaalu

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby manurgolo » 20 Feb 2021, 12:45

Thanks, I just found it. Also, I was wondering since in the manual says that the electro can send and receive midi and both midi ports and usb ports are working at the same time, if I could just connect the external keyboard to the usb port and set the electro configuration to act as a slave somehow...
manurgolo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby FZiegler » 20 Feb 2021, 12:50

The USB protocol is still a host-device protocol, and so are the cables. Only some newer designs have an extra USB-to-host socket - mainly workstations.

That's why it's good to look after a real MIDI socket if you are looking for a 88-keys controller. The ones built for studio purposes often don't have it nowadays.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.54) - Yamaha CP33 - MIDIsolutions Velocity Converter - K&M stands 18810+18811 & 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Electro Forum