Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Nord Electro 6D additional to Nord Stage 3

Postby ajstan » 19 Feb 2021, 16:21

@CountFosco was just having a little fun! I'm fortunate that I have enough gigs cover the cost of my gear habit. :D

If helpful, here's why I have two NS3s: My initial plan was to have the NS3-88 be a single board solution to allow me to cover (or at least approximate) most any sound for whatever type of band I decided to join. It needed to be simple enough to use where I could create and substantially modify sounds on my own without having to search for pre-made patches or shell out extra money for third-party sound banks. The NS3-88 was perfect for my situation and I immediately connected with it.

As the band I joined became more popular and the pay got better, I started to worry about having a single point of failure where we couldn't play a show. We are not a major act by any means, but aside from making sure I wasn't costing my bandmates a gig, if 150-200 people plan their evening around coming to see you and the venue owner is counting on you to give him his best night of the week (or if you're the headliner for an event), you need to be reliable and have a backup plan. So my quest for a backup board began.

I use a customized program for each song, most of the time with splits, layers, effects, and morphs. After trying a Roland Juno-DS61 and a Yamaha MODX7 as lower-cost backups (both are great options for their respective price points) I saw that it wasn’t realistic for me to try to come close to approximating my NS3 programs on a completely different board, much less keep them in sync as a backup. So, I got another NS3, the Compact.

By having two NS3s, unless I’m adding samples, the backup from one board and restore to the other takes about two minutes total so they are always in sync.

Also, as a bonus, many of the songs my band plays require more than one program, and we perform medleys that require quick switching of programs. By having two NS3s, I can put separate programs on each board to avoid switching within a song, and alternate between NS3s for each song of a medley.

It's gotten to the point where I don't think I can go back to just one board. Maybe I need another as a backup? :lol:
Last edited by ajstan on 19 Feb 2021, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby Niggoe » 19 Feb 2021, 21:16

Thanks for all the valuable input! From my research that I did so far I have to admit, probably the best would be to have Piano at the bottom and put a smaller Stage on top of it! But now having the STAGE is definitely not a bad thing!

So I am happy for you ajstan that you can play for so many people our gigs are more between 50 - 70 :D Still the situation is similar, I think having the option to use the DualKB function of the Stage sounds interesting for me. I am not so much into the synth thingy so having the sounds from the Stage on the Electro would also be cool as a backup. Has someone tried the Yamaha (especially the YC line) compared to the Eleectro?
Gear:
[b]- Nord Stage 3 88
- Nord Stage 3 73C
- Studio One 6 Professional
- Gig Performer
Niggoe

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum