Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Recording of Nord (Grand)

Postby SimonIsHere » 18 Feb 2021, 19:35

Ive read that the Nord (Grand) has a way more digital sound when being recorded through an audio interface than it does through speakers and headphones. Does anyone have any experiences with recording the instrument and is it therethrough found that the quite realistic sound easily turns into a more flat, dull and digital sound when being recorded?

Thank you guys.
SimonIsHere

Recording of Nord (Grand)

Sponsor

Re: Recording of Nord (Grand)

Postby Mr_-G- » 18 Feb 2021, 20:47

Hi,
Quite a few people incorrectly record stereo sources in two channels without fully panning the channels R and L. That makes the sound dull (and mono aural) but nothing to do with the interface.
If the instrument sounds OK through speakers and headphones then the problem is elsewhere.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby SimonIsHere » 18 Feb 2021, 21:55

If only that were the cases then it would be some very beginners at the wheel. :)
SimonIsHere

Postby baekgaard » 19 Feb 2021, 00:19

If you have an audio interface that doesn't color the sound, the Nord will sound exactly as good as what you hear in your phones/IEM/speakers.

Anyone claiming it sounds more digital when recorded needs a new interface or better technique :-)

And if you really want, you could just record the headphone out also and compare with that... And remember, there is always s difference in how you perceive sound comparing playing in real time versus listening to it afterwards.

Sent from my phone in brevity
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby cphollis » 19 Feb 2021, 01:11

I've recorded my Nords straight to the interface many, many times. No eq, no effects -- and the pianos in particular come out sounding pristine. Everyone else in the studio is fiddling around trying to get "their sound", except me. I'm good to go.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum