Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Multisample combined with Osc1 in high octave?

Postby oortone » 14 Feb 2021, 19:49

I ran in to trouble trying this.

I have a multi sample and I'm happy with the splitpoints and key-to-pitch relationship.
Now I want to combine it with a sligh high pitch shimmer from osc1.

I find no way to change to octave of osc1 and if I pitch down osc2/sample the whole key-to-pitch relationship gets ruined (in practice formants will be shifted one octave). I can not use the octave shift since it changes both oscillators. I would need a separate octave shift for either oscillator1 or oscillator2.

If I've made the multisample myself I can indeed shift the whole rootnote/zone structure in the Sample Editor but that's rather unpractical and produces a reduntant copy of the sample wasting precious memory space. If I've not made the sample myself there's no way to even do it this way.

Is this impossible without using the second slots (also a waste of voices and a limitiation for other possibilities) or did I miss some important aspect?
Last edited by oortone on 14 Feb 2021, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
oortone

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Multisample combined with Osc1 in high octave?

Sponsor

Re: Multisample combined with Osc1 in high octave?

Postby alex78 » 15 Feb 2021, 13:50

Why don't you use the semitones knob? This will change the pitch of osc2 that you want to maintain, but you can set this 12 semitones down in order to match with osc1 and then bring the whole program 1 octave up with the octave shift buttons.
Last edited by alex78 on 15 Feb 2021, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby oortone » 16 Feb 2021, 14:07

This will transpose the waves and shift their formants. Try it and you'll hear what I mean. Play a note with a multi sample, then shift down with semitones knob one octave and play one octave higher. You hear the same note as before but it does NOT sound the same. Now do the same with octave shift button, now it sounds the same. Problem is that OSC1 is shifted too with octave button so only solution I know is using separate slots which is a waste. Multisamples differ from ordinary oscillators in this respect.
oortone

Postby alex78 » 16 Feb 2021, 16:53

I haven't tried it with multisamples so I don't have a reason to doubt since you have tried it, I just thought it could work this way.
I really can't understand why they made it such way that you can only pitch shift osc2 to osc1 and not vice versa. If there was the same wave options for both oscillators I could understand it, but some waves are available for only one of the oscillators, so there should be this option as well.
alex78
Patch Creator

Postby Mr_-G- » 16 Feb 2021, 18:09

As a last resort, you could "sample the sample" and then the other oscillator (independently) in Audacity, then mix them the way you wish, save them as a WAV file(s) and create a new nsmp file. :idea:
Last edited by Mr_-G- on 16 Feb 2021, 18:10, edited 2 times in total.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby alex78 » 16 Feb 2021, 18:34

As a last resort, you could "sample the sample" and then the other oscillator (independently) in Audacity, then mix them the way you wish, save them as a WAV file(s) and create a new nsmp file.

That is a workaround if you want the sound to be the same all the time. If you want to introduce the second sound in some specific instances using any of the morphing sources, then you will have to sacrifice the second slot.
alex78
Patch Creator

Postby oortone » 18 Feb 2021, 22:41

I believe it's easier to change the root notes in the sample editor or use both slots. But still not very practical for such a simple task.
oortone

Postby alex78 » 19 Feb 2021, 00:25

I believe it's easier to change the root notes in the sample editor

If the sample is created by you and have access to the wav. files then that's the solution.
Play a note with a multi sample, then shift down with semitones knob one octave and play one octave higher. You hear the same note as before but it does NOT sound the same.

I guess it happens with all the samples, not only multisamples. There is a song we play with my band that is originally in the key of B but our singer is having a hard time with it so we decided to play it in the key of E instead. In order to practice at home playing over the original, I had to transpose 5 semitones down so that I can get used to the new finger position. The sound was indeed different than playing 5 semitones down without transposing. And it was more distinguishable when playing chords.
Last edited by alex78 on 19 Feb 2021, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
alex78
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Wave Forum