Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Saving Sound Edits in Setlist Mode

Postby taylorjheinzen » 19 Nov 2015, 07:20

Hey guys, new to this forum, been a long time coming as I've been a Nord user for over 4 years.

Just made the upgrade to Nord Electro 5D 73 and I love it. It's the Electro we've always wanted, right? Really digging the setlist mode a whole lot, apart from one little feature. Correct me if I'm wrong, but each song in each setlist can store a total of 4 sounds per song that can ONLY be saved from the program mode. Its great, and it's been efficient for me, however I am unable to save the sound WITHIN the song I'm operating in after the changes I made to it in according to what the song needs. For example, my first preset in program mode is a piano/pad tone I made. I use it on 90% of the tunes I have in a set list. Sadly, I am unable to change settings such as reverb and delay without going back and changing it at the source in the program bank. I make the change, and I notice the asterisk come up alerted me it's been modified, but when I save and change away from the sound, it reverts to the source in program mode. It's kinda nit picky as I love this board, but just curious if any one has any solutions or thoughts on the matter. Thanks much!

Taylor
taylorjheinzen

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Saving Sound Edits in Setlist Mode

Sponsor

Re: Saving Sound Edits in Setlist Mode

Postby RedLeo » 19 Nov 2015, 08:40

Deleted - talking nonsense.
Last edited by RedLeo on 19 Nov 2015, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby ericL » 19 Nov 2015, 13:36

You can do this. See page 12 in the manual. It's quite simple.

storING ProGraM cHaNGEs FroM sEt lIst ModE
You also have the option to store an edited Program from within set list mode. simply press down on the A-D button corresponding to the Program you want to store, and from there pro- cede as usual when storing a Program (see “storing and naming Programs” on page 6).
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.

The author ericL was thanked by:
pablomastodon
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby pablomastodon » 19 Nov 2015, 17:32

another good example of powerful little nuggets of information tucked away in the manual which are easily overlooked...

bless,

pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby venro » 24 Nov 2015, 21:43

Setlists dont save any patch. If you need different soundpatches for the same instrument you need to make a separate Program each time and connect it to a song.
I still think it would be better to save changes per song and save a lot of program memory too.
Last edited by venro on 25 Nov 2015, 00:48, edited 2 times in total.
venro

Postby Frantz » 25 Nov 2015, 01:22

Hold you program's button (A,B,C,D) you want to save, and press store. Confirm. Done.
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
Frantz
Patch Creator

Postby ozio01 » 25 Nov 2015, 08:38

venro wrote:Setlists dont save any patch. If you need different soundpatches for the same instrument you need to make a separate Program each time and connect it to a song.
I still think it would be better to save changes per song and save a lot of program memory too.

Totally agree. Setlists are wonderful but their management could/should be improved a lot.
My instruments:
Nord Electro 3 Seventythree (it was)
Nord Electro 5D 73 (it is)
Motif XF 6
ozio01

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Blueguitar007 » 06 Feb 2021, 22:48

ozio01 wrote:
venro wrote:Setlists dont save any patch. If you need different soundpatches for the same instrument you need to make a separate Program each time and connect it to a song.

Totally agree. Setlists are wonderful but their management could/should be improved a lot.

You can change a program in setlist mode by holding down the abcd button, but unfortunately it seems to change the original program too.
Blueguitar007

Postby maxpiano » 06 Feb 2021, 22:54

Blueguitar007 wrote:
ozio01 wrote:

You can change a program in setlist mode by holding down the abcd button, but unfortunately it seems to change the original program too.

Of course, because a "setlist" is just a way to group and sequence the original programs, not a copy of them.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 11 Feb 2021, 15:24

maxpiano wrote:
Blueguitar007 wrote:

Of course, because a "setlist" is just a way to group and sequence the original programs, not a copy of them.

Yes... a setlist location is like an "alias" on a Mac or a "shortcut" on WIndows. It does not contain the actual data, it is a pointer to data that exists separately elsewhere. Kind of the opposite of the venro quote above, this is actually an approach that saves memory, since each such pointer doesn't need to actually contain all the data for every setting. So you could have 50 "virtual instances" of your same favorite piano patch loaded into different songs, and it takes only 1 program slot instead of taking 50 program slots worth of memory. But the real advantage of this approach is that it allows you to change your favorite sounds as a batch. If Nord comes out with a new piano sample, and you like it better than the piano you've been using, all you have to do is edit your one favorite piano patch, and all 50 songs that used your old favorite piano patch will now use your new favorite piano patch.

Unfortunately, this feature was removed from the Electro 6, possibly because people were confused by it. As a result, if you want to use your favorite piano in 50 songs that you create with its "Organize" function, you now need to actually take up 50 valuable Program locations... and if you want to change to using a new favorite piano, you have to manually change 50 different patches instead of 1.

Luckily, you can still get the previous functionality on the Nord Stage 3, where they call it "Song List" mode rather than "Set List" mode. (SInce they named it differently, I assume there is still some difference in how they work, but I don't know what that difference would be. Anyone?)
Last edited by anotherscott on 11 Feb 2021, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
anotherscott

Return to Nord Electro Forum