Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Re: Did they kill the Nord Lead x product line?

Postby Marlowes » 27 Jan 2021, 12:27

I think I read some year ago that Clavia only makes any real money on the Electro and Stage models. Hence a possibly low interest to throw money at the Lead line? :?

I also see my new NW2 as an enhanced NL ... and sold my NL2X:es, NLA1 and NL4. 8-)
Last edited by Marlowes on 27 Jan 2021, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:

The author Marlowes was thanked by 2 members, including:
DJKeysSpider
Marlowes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Sponsor

Postby CountFosco » 27 Jan 2021, 14:37

Wow Marlowes, there are a lot of keyboard corpses buried in your backyard. Interesting that your historical rigs seem to revolve around Electro/Piano + synth rather than the Stage series. I like this approach too. It's more modular for iterative upgrades so you can more easily stay with the latest models (as you obviously have), and it's also just nicer having the extra real estate when playing live.

Could you give a bit more detail on your switch from NLA1 (and the rest) to NW2? Pros and cons, main points of difference etc?
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Marlowes » 27 Jan 2021, 17:49

@CountFosco: I'm not that clever with words so that I can describe my short experience with either the Lead series or the new Wave. I've been using them for "home entertainment" only - when I play with a band at rehearsal or a gig they want me to do standard rock/blues stuff, and then I bring the Electro ( and some Fenders, Martins and blues harps ) ! ;)
Last edited by Marlowes on 27 Jan 2021, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:
Marlowes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby DJKeys » 27 Jan 2021, 17:55

I also think the NW2 is a logical evolution of the synth series. I also sold my A1 to buy it and am very happy with my decision-

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby cambe » 28 Jan 2021, 16:01

Oakmasta wrote:Sure I can give a bit of background: I make trance music and I'm looking to expand my "computerless" setup with a multitimbral VA synth. I have already tried the Virus TI 2  and Waldorf Kyra but much prefer the sound of the NL4 that a friend of mine has. Not really interested in the other few VA's that exists. For me the NL4 sounds way better.

I completely get you, the Nord Lead 4 has a sound on its own that is very rich in a different way you can't find somewhere else.

Besides, the compact design with the beautiful wood cheeks is just art. I love using it as my main keyboard.

I actually thought of selling it... But can't seem to let it go...
I've thought of transitioning into the Wave 2, but can't go through...

It's a pity to believe the Lead series might be killed. However, despite the fact that Clavia makes money on the Electro/Stage, I think I read somewhere that they want to keep the "Lead" name alive for its sentimental value, so perhaps there's chance of an actual A2? But that's not what you are looking for I guess...

Best,

The author cambe was thanked by:
Marlowes
cambe
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby cambe » 28 Jan 2021, 16:07

DJKeys wrote:I also think the NW2 is a logical evolution of the synth series. I also sold my A1 to buy it and am very happy with my decision-

-dj

I believe the NW2 is an A1 on steroids. It's basically better in every single way (for a premium that is). Keeping the absolute beautiful sound and making it better.

However, I don't believe it is an evolution of the "Lead" series. As the focus shifted away from the more modulation-raw-driven sound. And also, away from the form factor. But perhaps the times of "lead synths" are gone?

My opinion,

Best,
cambe
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Previous

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum