General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Using NS3SW73 with external 88keys controller

Postby whitenoise » 08 Dec 2019, 09:03

Hi guys,

I suspect this topic has been already discussed in the past.

I'm using Kurzweil SP2X as an external midi controller for my Nord. It worked perfectly fine with NS2SW73. I liked the response and feel. But since I switched to NS3SW73 I couldn't find the right velocity setting to make it work properly (as it used to be with NS2).

Did anyone experience the same issue switching from NS2 to NS3?

How did you manage it?
whitenoise
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Using NS3SW73 with external 88keys controller

Sponsor

Re: Using NS3SW73 with external 88keys controller

Postby whitenoise » 08 Dec 2019, 13:05

whitenoise
Patch Creator

Postby Valpurgis » 08 Dec 2019, 17:26

Sorry I have nothing to contribute with regarding the difference in velocity curves between NS2 and NS3. But sometime back I tried to raise the issue about how the NS3C responds to external controllers with triple sensors.

I have a Kawai MP11with triple sensors which plays beautifully and make it easy to retrigger notes without lifting the key to the upper sensor. It makes a big difference in the playing experience compared to traditional two sensor pianos/controllers. However the NS3C does not interpret the midi stream from the MP11 which actually transmit the retriggered notes from the midle sensor. The Stage only plays the notes which are triggered bythe upper sensor. Nord originally thought the NS3C would handle this but later confirmed that my experience was correct. They tested my midifiles from the MP11 to evaluate what was the problem. They also said that they might implement this feature in future updates.

More than just me that hope to use a triple sensor controller with the NS3C? If so why not leave a comment here: https://www.nordkeyboards.com/support
Last edited by Valpurgis on 08 Dec 2019, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
Valpurgis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby Mr_-G- » 08 Dec 2019, 19:48

I wonder if it is the NS3 that does not interpret the MP11 MIDI message or is it the MP11 that only sends data out of the 2nd sensor?
The MP11 Owner's manual page 125 on Transmitted Data says it sends the traditional 3 MIDI bytes message. channel,note_number, velocity.
What happens when you use a different controller to drive the NS3?
Have you tried looking what output the MP11 generates with a MIDI monitor program?
Last edited by Mr_-G- on 08 Dec 2019, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby craigt » 08 Dec 2019, 20:43

I have found that using my Yamaha Motif XS8 as a controller for the NS3C less than satisfying. I have the Motif curve set to “hard” and it is still hard to get soft piano sounds from the NS3C. I have thought of getting a VPC1 just to have user defined velocity curves that will hopefully match the NS3C.
craigt

Postby aureliopenna » 16 Dec 2019, 05:34

Same boat here, had a NS2C and switch no NS3C. Never love it like I do NS2. Pianos, seems so much thin an less ressonants, velocity curves sucks, dynamic range is like compressed.
I also try TransMIDIfier program to draw velocity curves and play NS3 via MIDI through it self. It helps...
aureliopenna

Postby FZiegler » 18 Jan 2021, 23:22

whitenoise wrote:Found a midi velocity converter.
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodvel.htm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MIDI-Solutions ... 2869315589
Did anyone try it?

I was looking for a new HA keyboard controller for quite some time. Still like my old Yamaha CP-33, but it was way too hot as a controller for the Stage in the lower and medium velocities. Some weeks ago I went for that Velocity Converter. Now, I've got a totally new feeling playing piano on my Stage 3 Compact. [meaning playing Nord piano sounds via the Yamaha controller keyboard]

Two remarks:
1. The character of the Nord piano samples changes a lot! It's a totally new approach, and I will probably have to check all programs and sound characters. The White Grand e.g. seems to have got more mellow. The frequency curve probably won't, but the action now is much more reserved: It sounds more into ballad or romantic style - as if I had bought a new PA. But of course, I intervened a lot: middle velocity (63) now is translated into 35!

2. It was a bit of an adventure to get the converter programmed. It receives power over MIDI (needs 5V at MIDI-in), and if you don't have a power injector, you not only have to look that your keyboard provides 5V (mine does), but also your audio/MIDI USB device (my Steinberg UR-44 didn't) for programming via PC. The newer MIDI Standard only demands a supply of 3.3V. So I needed an extra USB-MIDI adapter to program that little black box. At least, programming is made easier through a Win/Mac program that translates your velocity curve into MIDI SysEx data.

The Velocity Converter has 40 built-in velocity curves and allows for 1 custom curve. Each MIDI channel can have its own curve. Within the converter, there is nothing for switching - you can only switch the MIDI channel while performing. You can use it for
- increasing or decreasing progression
- increasing or decreasing the start and end points of the curve
- changing dynamic velocity into fixed velocity (of course one fixed velocity into another, too)
- using a free controller to set velocity (CC00..127 > velocity)

So, in the end, this might be a solution for older keyboards to fit as an adjusted MIDI controller for a Nord Stage or Electro. For keyboards that
- don't have custom velocity curves, but
- do provide 5V at MIDI-out.

All in all, I paid 162 EUR (converter + USB-MIDI adapter only for programming) and didn't have to spend the money for a Kawai VPC1 or an MP-7. I'm quite happy about the new piano feeling! We will see how this goes on.
Last edited by FZiegler on 19 Jan 2021, 00:26, edited 2 times in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Return to Nord Stage Forum