General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Stage 3 Midi Output Velocity very low

Postby just_tamo » 18 Jan 2021, 12:32

Hi everyone,

new Nord User here. I've been lurking for quite some time on the forum and searched everywhere for a solution to my problem.
If this topic has been covered elsewhere already and I didn't find it in my previous search, please direct me to that post.

So, here goes:
I have a Stage 3 connected to my Mac via Midi USB. I also have a Native Instruments Maschine Mk3 connected to the same Mac via USB.
I use LPX and the Maschine Daw to make music. In the beginning everything worked well, but for a couple of weeks now, I've had this strange problem.

My MIDI velocities of the Stage 3 are suuuuper low. Like in the ranges of 30-60 with hard playing. If I hammer on a key with full force whilst playing, I can reach 80ish Midi velocity max.
Is there any way that I might have changed the midi velocity output? I've already looked at the KB touch options and the EXTERN - Keyb velocity settings, but switching from low to hard and everything did nothing.

The only way around is by activating the extern section and choosing 127 for the volume value, which somehow increases the midi velocity values, but only incrementally.
Then I'm inputting two notes though, which is due to my midi channel setup I think...?

My workaround for logic is through a transformer in the environment, but in Maschine DAW I can't seem to find a way.
Can anybody help me?

Best regards,
tamo
just_tamo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Stage 3 Midi Output Velocity very low

Sponsor

Re: Stage 3 Midi Output Velocity very low

Postby FZiegler » 18 Jan 2021, 13:48

A) Velocity: Any pedal connected?
B) Double notes: Set Global MIDI to off.
Last edited by FZiegler on 18 Jan 2021, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby just_tamo » 18 Jan 2021, 14:12

FZiegler wrote:A) Velocity: Any pedal connected?

Yes, a sustain pedal which works flawlessly.

FZiegler wrote:B) Double notes: Set Global MIDI to off.

Did that, which resolved the double notes, thank you very much!

Still having the issue that my midi velocity is somehow messed up. Any settings that I could have overlooked?
just_tamo

Postby igoragrich » 18 Jan 2021, 15:33

Because you need to use external section, and set-up midi on external
igoragrich

Postby just_tamo » 18 Jan 2021, 23:03

igoragrich wrote:Because you need to use external section, and set-up midi on external

Hi igoragrich,

thank you for the info! Would you be so kind as to tell me how?
I've set up the midi channel in "Extern" but what exactly do I need to set up also?

Best regards
tamo
just_tamo

Postby zhuzhu » 28 May 2021, 05:36

I ran into this problem as well and after trying several different adjustments on the Stage 3, the problem ended up being this: the other midi keyboard I had hooked up to my Logic Pro X/Macbook Pro setup had touch sensitivity settings set to "soft " (A Yamaha P-155 Digital Piano). As a result, all the midi sounds triggered by the Yamaha keyboard seemed much louder than those triggered by my new Nord Stage 3. I wrongly interpreted this to be a problem with the Nord midi velocity/volume send settings. Anyways, problem now sorted, and I can now sleep again. Hope this helps.
zhuzhu

Postby Beaker » 16 Oct 2021, 14:25

Just wondering if anyone has a fix for this?

I'm fidining the key velocity has a huge difference between the main midi out and when playing extern, it is soooooooo low it's mostly unplayable for the stuff i do. I literally need to a big run up with take a hammer to the keys to get full velocity
Beaker

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby FZiegler » 16 Oct 2021, 14:33

What exactly are you talking about - NS2 (your gear) or NS3 (thread item) and if the latter, OS before 2.6 or newest?

I'm only experienced in the other way round (receiving MIDI velocity on the Stage 3), but it's clear that the original Stage 3 velocity curve was quite different from most other gear. They obviously changed it significantly for OS 2.6 so that it's closer to other brand's instruments. Until that, I used a MIDISolutions velocity converter. I haven't tested with the newer velocity curve yet.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby Beaker » 16 Oct 2021, 15:01

Thanks for the reply, i'm on OS 2.54 on my NS3 so i will upgrade the OS and see if that helps.

Appreciated
Beaker

Postby Beaker » 16 Oct 2021, 15:01

I need to update my gear list as well :-)
Beaker

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum