Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Re: Love for the Wave 2!

Postby tsss27 » 02 Jan 2021, 02:20

gadgetprop wrote:Hey, thanks for the reply, the P6 is super sweet! One day...!

Every synth has their limitations, that's for sure. Sometimes those limitations can be sources for creativity. Don't get me wrong, I still love breaking out the trusty moog and cranking the filter overdrive, but the W2 is also so inspiring to jam on it, it can get so deep so quick and back again. It's nice when a synth can go from tight snaps to massive reverb land with the turn of the wheel, with 4 simultaneous arps with different time divisions going around in crazy clockwork counter-rhythms! The tension on the mod stick reminds me of playing a guitar when bending, I like that you really have to dig into it a bit.

I also love the Nord pitch bender. As wheels go, I think the Prophet6's pitch wheel is one of the easiest to precisely control, which is funny because when you play it there is not a lot of tension on the spring and you'd think it'd be harder to be super accurate with it, but it works really well in practice at least for my fingers! Anyway, there really is nothing like the Nord bender, especially for vibrato it is unmatched. And in many ways the Nord is a far deeper synth than the Prophet. Both have advantages and disadvantages. If the bug in the Nord wasn't there (see above post for that info) I would pick the Nord over the P6 without needing to think much at all. I don't personally have the budget to own a whole room full of synths and the Nord becomes even more useful with that information.
I really do hope that the issue I described above gets fixed, because for the short time I did own the Nord, I could really have seen myself keeping it and pairing it with something like an Electro for keyboard sounds. That would make a great little keys rig for me.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Sponsor

Postby DJKeys » 02 Jan 2021, 02:47

This is interesting, because on my Wave I could not replicate this with the LFO, only with Vibrato-

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby tsss27 » 05 Jan 2021, 04:01

DJKeys wrote:This is interesting, because on my Wave I could not replicate this with the LFO, only with Vibrato-

-dj

Indeed, so right now 2 people (you and I) have tested. It would be great if some more users could try the steps and see if they can replicate the problem, I submitted it to Nord a while ago but don't know what they found.

Some other questions unrelated to the LFO issue but didn't really want to create a thread just for this...
1. As I am blind, this would otherwise be obvious but...the manual does not actually mention what button needs to be pressed to add the amp envelope to a group. It lists all others, but not that one presumably because you can't actually turn the amp on/off like the other sections...What do I press?

2. I was able to adjust glide for all layers in multi-edit mode, but is there another way to do this as part of a group? I am hoping I don't need to set up a glide morph on all patches which use it just so I can adjust them all at once, that can't be right.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Postby DJKeys » 05 Jan 2021, 04:39

Actually, user Sklyerocean tested it as well, he had the same results I did. LFO worked, vibrato did not. I think that this behavior was not tested, as the Nord Tech never got back to me after he said he would talk to Engineering.

1. There is a button to the right of the 4 Amp Env controls. Hit shift and push that button to group the Amp envelope.
2. I just tested this, glide is not a feature that can be grouped, it has to be done manually, as you already did.

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Postby tsss27 » 05 Jan 2021, 05:00

DJKeys wrote:Actually, user Sklyerocean tested it as well, he had the same results I did. LFO worked, vibrato did not. I think that this behavior was not tested, as the Nord Tech never got back to me after he said he would talk to Engineering.

1. There is a button to the right of the 4 Amp Env controls. Hit shift and push that button to group the Amp envelope.
2. I just tested this, glide is not a feature that can be grouped, it has to be done manually, as you already did.

-dj

What's the name of the button? I don't have the Wave in front of me but may be using one again soon; I know the layout pretty well from last time so better to remember by button name.

Strange on the glide, I would have thought it would be grouped with something. I guess it can at least be worked around with multi-edit and a morph set up while in that mode...if multi edit could be left on per patch (that didn't seem to work when I tried it before) that could be a workaround too.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Postby DJKeys » 05 Jan 2021, 05:09

The name of the button is amp vel on top and group below

Dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

The author DJKeys was thanked by:
tsss27
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Postby Todd Brown » 09 Jan 2021, 02:15

Just got one last month and finally have some time to start programming it. Very happy with it so far!
Current Gear: Stage 3 Compact, Wave 2, Piano 4 88, Piano 5 73, Mojo 61, Mojo Desktop, Viscount Expander Module
Todd Brown

Previous

Return to Nord Wave Forum