Share your complete Nord Stage programs/patches for the Nord Stage CLASSIC and EX!
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.

DX-7/FM piano patch

Postby AlexNagel » 13 Jun 2010, 19:44

Hi all,

for those asking if it's possible to create a DX-7/FM piano patch on the Nord Stage, here's what I've created:

DX7 FM EP.nspg
Alex's DX7 FM E-Piano Patch
(426 Bytes) Downloaded 2226 times

Comments welcome.

Alex
Attachments
DX7 FM EP - NORD Stage Demo.mp3
Alex's DX7 FM E-Piano Patch - MP3 Demo
(779.59 KiB) Downloaded 8457 times
Last edited by AlexNagel on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.

The author AlexNagel was thanked by 7 members, including:
WannitBBBadHubresMicahfreejazzPhilPetersonJohannesNordnodoubt
AlexNagel
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

DX-7/FM piano patch

Sponsor

Re: DX-7/FM piano patch

Postby Johannes » 14 Jun 2010, 11:18

Wow that's amazing! Thanks a lot Alex! Was looking for a FM EP sound for a while.
Just have to wait until I am near my Stage to upload it. But it seems you mixed an EP with FM right?
In any case, its excellent, immediately reminds of those 80ish stuff!!!

Looking forward to surprise/shock(?) my bandmates playing George Benson's "Nothing's gonna change my love for you"....

EDIT: While studying FM synthesis, I came across the "original" FullTines Patch developed on the basis of Yamahas FM Synths which can be regarded as THE DX EP Patch.
The settings can be found here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.sims ... rhodes.gif

All six operators are used but three carriers with one modulator each (Algorithm No. 5 at the orig. DX7)
Code: Select all
                         +<---+
     |         |         |    |
   +-+-+     +-+-+     +-+-+  |                                                     
   | 2 |     | 4 |     | 6 |  |                                                     
   +-+-+     +-+-+     +-+-+  |                                                           
     |         |         |    |                                                   
     |         |         +----+   
     |         |         |   
   +-+-+     +-+-+     +-+-+                                                               
   | 1 |     | 3 |     | 5 |                                                               
   +-+-+     +-+-+     +-+-+                                                               
     |         |         |                                                   
     |         |         |
     |         |         |                                                   
     +---------+---------+                                                             
               |

So in theory, using both Panels, one should at least get the belly attack and normal "body" tone while missing only the slightly detuned body sound.
Will see if that gets somewhere. Now probably Alex patch is the best one can get given the limitations of the Synth, so it is basically just for understanding and practising FM synthesis after having gone through the theory and the maths.
Last edited by Johannes on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
Johannes
Administrator

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Patschi » 04 Aug 2010, 00:24

Hi folks! I'm new to this forum and have recently downloaded all the sounds you guys have created and posted here.
So now I'm going to share what I have done so far.

FM synthesis is a very exciting thing.
Since I once had a DX7 in the eighties I do remember how the typical FM-epiano sound was constructed.
As Johannes showed us it consists of three modulator-carrier pairs.

One pair creates the body of the sound which is the result of a modulator-carrier frequency-ratio of 1:1.
The modulator's envelope generator sets the time variant modulation intensity which leads to a frequency spectrum that can't be created by subtractive synthesis, no matter how complex the basic waveform may be.
This part of the sound can in deed be reproduced by the Nord Stage and it sounds more or less exactly like the DX7. It's just the very sophisticated key follow parameters that the Stage is missing.
The modulation intensity is controlled by the Timbre parameter.

The DX7's second modulator-carrier pair usually does just the same with only a little detuning.
This can be simulated by the Stage's unison function.

The third pair now is responsible for the bell-like attack sound that made the DX7 famous.
It's the result of a modulator-carrier frequency-ratio of 14:1.
Unfortunately the Stage doesn't offer this particular ratio.
The highest possible ratio is 9:1.
To add at least this one you need to use the synth section of the other panel.
(Since 9:1 doen't exactly produce a perferct bell character try and switch this panel one octave higher.)

No matter how authentic you might think this sound is it's still very suitable to be added to a grand piano sound for pop piano styles.

If you are in need of a synth pad background sound after you have frittered away both panels for the DX7 emulation just misuse the Farfisa. It sounds not really good but acceptable at a pinch.

Let me know your opinion ...

Attachments
Taenzerin.nspg
(426 Bytes) Downloaded 1205 times
Grand FM-E Wheel.nspg
(426 Bytes) Downloaded 1218 times
DX7-II.nspg
(426 Bytes) Downloaded 1272 times
Taenzerin.mp3
(756.77 KiB) Downloaded 5032 times
Grand + DX.mp3
(591.05 KiB) Downloaded 5524 times
DX7-II.mp3
(375.13 KiB) Downloaded 6165 times
Last edited by Patschi on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.

The author Patschi was thanked by 2 members, including:
freejazzPriitS
Patschi
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Postby TomS » 15 Nov 2010, 23:04

Hi guys & gals.. New at working with my Stage EX. Can I download these DX patches ? If so, how? Thanks. They sound fabulous Tommy
Last edited by TomS on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
TomS

Postby danvb01 » 11 Apr 2013, 19:05

Is it possible to have DX7 FM EP - NORD Stage Demo for nord piano 2?
Last edited by danvb01 on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
danvb01

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby AlexNagel » 17 Apr 2013, 01:27

danvb01 wrote:Is it possible to have DX7 FM EP - NORD Stage Demo for nord piano 2?

As I've sold my old NS to get a NS2,I can not access my old patch anymore. That's why I've created a new FM piano for my NS2 using the NORD sample lib. You should be able to load this into Nord Piano 2:

http://www.norduserforum.com/post19072.html#p19072

Alex
Last edited by AlexNagel on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
AlexNagel
Patch Creator

Postby koomanchu1 » 28 Dec 2020, 06:29

Hi Alex,

I have an old Nord Stage Classic (Revision B) and I would like know if a patch is available for the DX7 electric piano sound (from the 1980's) with the file extension "DX7.nsp". I have gone to the Nord website and they do not have it at all. I downloaded your patch "DX7-II.NSPG" and my NS Classic will not load it.

If you are kind enough to have a patch for the NS Classic available to post it as a download, I would greatly appreciate. Or if you can point me to instructions on how I can program the sound in myself, I would be grateful too! Best wishes for the New Year! Be safe and healthy.

Thanks,
George
koomanchu1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Postby AlexNagel » 28 Dec 2020, 14:23

koomanchu1 wrote:Hi Alex,

I have an old Nord Stage Classic (Revision B) and I would like know if a patch is available for the DX7 electric piano sound (from the 1980's) with the file extension "DX7.nsp".

I never heard of any .nsp file format. Classic NS programs had .nspg as extension.

koomanchu1 wrote:I have gone to the Nord website and they do not have it at all. I downloaded your patch "DX7-II.NSPG" and my NS Classic will not load it.

DX7-II.NSPG was not made by me, but by user "Patschi", see above.

What's the error message you're getting? Which version of Nord Sound Manager are you using?

Make sure to have the latest OS (5.08) installed for your "vintage" ;) NS: https://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/legacy/nord-stage-classic

Best regards, Alex
AlexNagel
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Stage Classic/EX Programs (*.nspg files)