Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

USB Cable Comes with Nord Grand?

Postby csmith43 » 19 Dec 2020, 20:59

Does a USB cable come with the Nord Grand sold in the United States? If so, what type of USB connection is on the other end of the cable? USB Type-A? Also, does anyone know if the Nord Grand uses USB 2.0 or 3.0 or 3.1? I am trying to figure out what cables I might need to connect the keyboard to a new MacBook Pro or an interface I might purchase. If anyone has any advice on what cables or interface (like Apogee, Focuserite, etc.) I might consider for a basic recording and midi setup with a MacBook, I’d truly appreciate it.
csmith43

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

USB Cable Comes with Nord Grand?

Sponsor

Re: USB Cable Comes with Nord Grand?

Postby dmamfmgm » 19 Dec 2020, 21:44

Hi! Welcome to the Nord User Forum!

I have a Macbook pro as well. I don't have a Nord Grand, but I think I can answer your questions.

Does a USB cable come with the Nord Grand sold in the United States? Yes, it is a USB Type-A to USB Type-B, and it uses USB 2.0.

Take a look at the manual available here -

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads ... nord-grand

I clicked on the "Nord Grand English User Manual v1.5x-Edition-C.pdf" link and scrolled down to page 24 - Chapter 11: Connections

The USB Type-B connector is the third from the left, after the Vol/Ctrl Pedal and Sustain Pedal.

In order to make full use of your Nord Grand, you definitely will need a dock, hub, or adaptor for USB Type-A to USB Type-C. If you use an external monitor, check if it already offers USB Type-A ports. Here's a picture of what I use, keep in mind this is just one of many options for connecting your Nord Grand to a Macbook Pro:
example-typeC.jpg
Example USB Type-C adaptor
example-typeC.jpg (8.22 KiB) Viewed 2820 times

Once you have connected the USB cable, you have done all the hardware setup you need to do in order to:
  • Upload new patches, pianos, and other sounds available on nordkeyboards.com
  • Take a look at nordusersounds.com where the community has created other patches you can try out
  • Send and receive MIDI notes (e.g. in GarageBand) - note that the manual has important details on how to do this correctly

The USB cable does not allow you to do the following:
  • Record live audio from your Nord Grand. For that you would need to connect a separate Audio Interface to the 1/4" Audio Connections - either Left Out and Right Out, or alternately the Headphones
  • "Overdub" audio into your Nord Grand. For that you would need that separate Audio Interface to feed into the 3.5mm Monitor In connection.

Remember to download the Nord Sound Manager app and follow the instructions in the manual.

Also I recommend using the search tool here on norduserforum.com! You'll find lots of great information here.

Cheers!
dmamfmgm

The author dmamfmgm was thanked by:
csmith43
dmamfmgm

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: USB Cable Comes with Nord Grand?

Postby Galvalume » 20 Dec 2020, 09:15

As dmamfmgm has answered, it comes with USB Type-A to USB Type-B cable.
I hook up my Nord Grand through a MOTU M4 audio interface to my Windows 10 laptop. I can record through the USB cable by adding midi tracks in Performer Lite software.

The author Galvalume was thanked by:
csmith43
Galvalume

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum