Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Nord Electro 5D PCB Contact Board

Postby onthecorner » 06 Jul 2020, 18:47

It's a tale as old as time - I spilled some water on my Nord and now a few keys in the very upper octave have been acting strangely - some at full velocity, some barely registering, and unfortunately different keys seem to have different problems, so I think I need to replace the contact board as opposed to just cleaning some of the contacts.

I can't seem to find the part anywhere, though. I have found the part for the Electro 3, but not the 5.
I also tried emailing the email I had for Pablo Mastadon and received a reply from another tech reccomending I take it to an authorized repair shop. Which I will do if needed, but rather than going without my instrument for however long it takes them to get around it, I'd much rather replace it myself.

Does anyone know if the part for the Electro 3 would work, or where I could find the part for the 5?
onthecorner

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Nord Electro 5D PCB Contact Board

Sponsor

Re: Nord Electro 5D PCB Contact Board

Postby Tasten-Bert » 06 Jul 2020, 19:12

Hi you poor musician - or should I say „pour“ musician?
Just a guess: I have just compared the product codes of the resp. contact strips at syntaur.com. Identical codes at NE3 and NE5, so probably the same article. Hope you can solve it quickly. Good luck and rainy regards from Germany.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20

The author Tasten-Bert was thanked by:
onthecorner
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Mr_-G- » 06 Jul 2020, 21:19

Wouldn't cleaning the contacts be easier, cheaper and faster that changing the whole thing? Or did you try that and did not work?
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby onthecorner » 06 Jul 2020, 21:22

Mr_-G- wrote:Wouldn't cleaning the contacts be easier, cheaper and faster that changing the whole thing? Or did you try that and did not work?

I haven't tried that yet. On the list, but in my experience, one key = clean the contacts, multiple keys with multiple issues = replace the board.
onthecorner

Postby pablomastodon » 08 Jul 2020, 05:27

the issue is not so much NE3/NE5, but which keybed do you have? Waterfall SW (semi-weighted) or HP (hammer portable)? The contacts will be the same from keybed version to keybed version. So, just order SW61, SW73 or HP73 according to which version your instrument uses. Note that the SW units are 2-pc, upper and lower. Current policy from US wholesaler is that they are only sold in pairs. The HP units are 3-pcs.

Also note that the factory-calibration done by Nord will no longer be accurate. The ONLY way to preserve calibration would be to purchase completely new replacement keybed coming from Sweden.

bless, pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby onthecorner » 19 Dec 2020, 16:34

I have yet to take the plunge with this ... since the whole pandemic made it a little less of a concern .... but thank you very much Pablo for your information.

How much of a factor is the factory calibration? I previously did this on my NE3 SW and it seemed to work fine...
Last edited by onthecorner on 19 Dec 2020, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
onthecorner

Postby baekgaard » 19 Dec 2020, 18:51

onthecorner wrote:I have yet to take the plunge with this ... since the whole pandemic made it a little less of a concern .... but thank you very much Pablo for your information.

How much of a factor is the factory calibration? I previously did this on my NE3 SW and it seemed to work fine...

Well, I guess it depends on how large differences the keybed and contacts are born with and your sensitivity to slight variation between keys.

But it may not be so bad; the instrument should still be playable, I think, though just have a bit more variation between keys than what you may be used to -- i.e. like playing a real piano where the action is not completely well-adjusted.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Electro Forum