Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Newby to Nord

Postby julz15 » 03 Apr 2020, 06:58

Hi, I am totally new to Nord keyboards and have an Electro 4. I am having trouble understanding how the programs, samples, and sounds work in general. It seems that the majority of the factory samples are used in multiple sounds and if I change one I will be changing multiple sounds. I am not doing a very good job of explaining myself but maybe if someone can point me in the direction of something that can explain it to me in very simple terms that would be good. Thanks
julz15

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Newby to Nord

Sponsor

Re: Newby to Nord

Postby Berretje » 03 Apr 2020, 10:18

Hi and :welcome: !

Yes, it can be overwelming, but actually (and with everything) it will come familiar when diving into this.
In chapter 4 - page 8 (Getting Started) of the Nord Electro 4 manual, this subject is well described.

Please have a look at this first. We are here to help, but reading this will get yourself more familiar with your instrument.
If you have any questions after reading this, you are more than welcome to ask!
Last edited by Berretje on 03 Apr 2020, 10:18, edited 2 times in total.
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby NoDirection » 03 Apr 2020, 11:49

Hi!

Yes - It's true - the samples are used in many different programs. And if you delete a sample, several programs can be affected. But when you adjust your sound with the different Effects - you adjust the program - NOT the sample. But as Berretje say.
Study the manual.

I have also owned a Nord Electro 4, and I will say it's the easiest Nord to start with, so I am sure you get a grip of it after a while.

If you connect your Nord to the "Nord sound manager" on your PC or Mac it's easier to see the connection between "samples and programs"

Good luck!
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Electro 6 HP, Yamaha Montage 6

The author NoDirection was thanked by:
Berretje
NoDirection
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby analogika » 03 Apr 2020, 12:51

The basic idea (this also applies to the Nord Stage series) is that a "program" contains all the settings of all the engines — organ, piano, and synth — regardless of whether an engine is actually currently in use, or not.

In the case of the piano and synth engines, these use samples (.npno for the piano, and .nsmp for the synth) that need to be stored on the machine. The program only contains information about which samples are used; it does NOT contain the samples themselves.

The piano engine can be set to use any of the .npno sounds saved onboard the machine. If the .npno is removed, the piano engine won't find the sound and remain silent. If you wish to replace a particular piano with another for all programs on the machine (like, say, you replace an "M" piano with the "XL" version for better quality), you can replace it using the Nord Sound Manager and have it automatically relink all programs that used the old piano to use the new file.

The same thing applies to the samples (.nsmp files) used by the synth section.
Last edited by analogika on 03 Apr 2020, 12:53, edited 2 times in total.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
Berretje
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby alex78 » 03 Apr 2020, 13:20

A good start would be to scroll through the samples allready on the board, tweak a little and play with the effects to see if you like the sample or not. Then delete those that don't suit your needs, so you make room for others you can find in the nord library or in the custom sample section of this forum. Don't be affraid to do so, you can always do a factory restore or load a back up. The nords are exceptional in terms of customization! Regarding the pianos I would suggest to experiment with medium sized samples as they load faster and occupy less memory, when you have a clear opinion about what you like then you load a L or XL file. Have fun with your new board!
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Chalkie » 10 May 2020, 15:28

I would add to alex78's comments by suggesting you run Nord Sound Manager and browse the contents in piano, samples, programs sections after you have printed them out. Keep the printouts handy and refer to them while you are experimenting. I was getting frustrated and going round in circles until I did this.
Chalkie

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby elglide » 13 Dec 2020, 14:26

I am also new o Nord, it is a little complicated. There are You Tube videos on how to use the Sound manager that are pretty helpful.
elglide

Postby alex78 » 13 Dec 2020, 23:51

I wouldn't say it's complicated at all. It is just a different approach comparing to other brands. As long as you understand the structure and some terms that are unique to nord, then everything is very straight forward. No deep menu diving, dedicated knobs and buttons for everything, total freedom to load or delete sounds and very explanatory manuals....and a forum with very helpfull people as well!!!
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Electro Forum