All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Dual QSC K8.2 or Dual RCF Evox J8?

Postby wweiss » 20 Aug 2020, 18:41

cphollis
For a small acoustic setting why do you need to keep both the Bose L1 Model S and the Compact? Seems like just the Compact would handle those size venues. Also B2 sub with L1 ModelS is the extra bass needed? B1 sub is so much lighter. Do you still use your Yamaha mixer with either Bose setups?

Full band: In what situation would you take the QSC K8.2's over the RCF TT08? You said the RCF's outperform the QSC's in every respect. Again seems redundant to have both. I see RCF makes a 10 inch model, TT10. All specs the same but TT10 goes to 130dB. Would you still recommend the 8 inch model? Was the TT10 available when you bought yours?
Last edited by wweiss on 21 Aug 2020, 17:15, edited 8 times in total.
wweiss

Sponsor

Postby Jasonpank » 25 Nov 2020, 15:51

New to this stuff but have a question - when listing the gear you bring to full electric band gig, is the entire band using the same speakers? Drums, vocals, etc. Our two guitarists have their own amp/speaker set up and so far practices have the drums, keys, and vocals mixed and then through our two speakers I guess my question includes how many items do you send through the mixer to a single pair of PAs? Should I be purchasing my own speakers for keys?
Jasonpank

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby FZiegler » 25 Nov 2020, 16:27

To unveil the "cryptographic code" in this thread:
"monitor" means personal or common amplification just for the people on stage
"iem" is "in ear monitoring" which means you get your sound or the sound of the band directly into your ears (cable or wireless).
"foh" is "front of house" which is the overall sound control and amplification for the audience.

In some cases, all this can be clearly distinguished. As you may have read, some gear can be used both as personal monitors or amplification for small venues/audiences.

As foh isn't your part, but either the whole band's or the locations', you just have to think about what you want to hear while playing. Maybe you already found out: It's not the easiest part of making music together.

To answer your question: My band told me not to buy monitors for my keys as they could give me some old monitor aside. I beared this only for a few months - it wasn't satisfying at all. I want to hear myself, and I want to get an idea of what I'm playing like. So it's not only a question of being loud enough, but to have some sonic fidelity, too.

Hope there will be more experienced answers, too.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars

The author FZiegler was thanked by:
Jasonpank
FZiegler
Donator

Postby cphollis » 25 Nov 2020, 19:33

Jasonpank wrote:New to this stuff but have a question - when listing the gear you bring to full electric band gig, is the entire band using the same speakers? Drums, vocals, etc. Our two guitarists have their own amp/speaker set up and so far practices have the drums, keys, and vocals mixed and then through our two speakers I guess my question includes how many items do you send through the mixer to a single pair of PAs? Should I be purchasing my own speakers for keys?

The answer is -- it depends.

In my world, there are small gigs where every instrument is responsible for their own "stage sound" (e.g. responsible for the audience hearing their instrument), and the PA is there for the vocals and not much else. It can be a rough-and-tumble sound that works well with some genres, like blues or jazz trios. Since each instrument is responsible for their own sound level, there's not much need for a sound person.

I've had some bad nights where Guitar Hero basically messes things up for both the band and the audience by playing way too loud. I won't play this kind of gig unless I trust the guitarist to be a professional when it comes to sound levels. If you are a keyboard player, you need to bring some decent amplification if you want to be heard and sound good -- and give yourself a fighting chance against Guitar Hero.

Moving up a notch, there are midsize gigs where every instrument is responsible for "monitor sound" (e.g. you are responsible for hearing yourself) and the PA does all the heavy lifting for what the audience hears. Guitars either mike their amps, or use a DI box. It can be a smoother, richer and more scalable sound. The PA needs to be more capable (more instruments going through it) and you'll want a sound person adjusting the mix.

For those gigs, I'll bring a modest amp or small PA rig. In the event that sound person believes that keys should be seen but not heard, there's always the option of turning up from the stage.

At the top of the range, there are larger gigs where you don't bring *any* personal amplification. Professional sound person does it all, and either provides a small stage monitor for each instrument, or you can plug in your personal IEMs. When these go well, they're the best as you get a great sound in your ears, and the audience does as well.

So across all these different scenarios, venues and genres -- what sort of amplification does a keyboard player need? A pair of quality, self-powered PA units can cover a variety of scenarios, including double duty as the band's PA in a pinch -- which is why they are so popular with keyboard players.

I also am aware that many provided PA setups at clubs, festivals, etc. are basically junk and run by stoners. If I'm not familiar with the sound setup, I'll always bring enough stage sound that I won't have to depend on the provided system. Be prepared to get some serious stink eye from the sound person if you do this.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
Jasonpank
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Mr. Marko » 01 Dec 2020, 03:45

cphollis wrote:
Jasonpank wrote:
So across all these different scenarios, venues and genres -- what sort of amplification does a keyboard player need? A pair of quality, self-powered PA units can cover a variety of scenarios, including double duty as the band's PA in a pinch -- which is why they are so popular with keyboard players.

I also am aware that many provided PA setups at clubs, festivals, etc. are basically junk and run by stoners. If I'm not familiar with the sound setup, I'll always bring enough stage sound that I won't have to depend on the provided system. Be prepared to get some serious stink eye from the sound person if you do this.

My advice to everyone who values a good gig experience...buy and take everything YOU NEED to have a quality experience that will leave you with a pleasing thoughts on your way home from the gig. Nothing can piss me off more than knowing I permitted a crappy gig experience into my schedule by thinking "an extra trip or two to the car was not worth it". If the gig rates that low on your priority - stay home and let some other guy deal with it.

My rig is more than capable of stunning the guitar players in each of the bands I perform...it is a level of mutual respect that was well worth the money.
NS4 / NS3 / NS-EX / Modular G1 / G2 / G2X / NL3
Basically Too Many Nords to Haul to a Gig
Mr. Marko

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Previous

Return to Accessories and Amplification