General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Simple answers that I don´t find

Postby anotherscott » 20 Nov 2020, 13:45

Kaffimusic wrote:Ah, I take that a challenge. Wait and see. I will program a lead, a pad, an analog comper and maybe some spacey filtersweep-thingys with some modulation options going on.. 5 sounds. In three weeks.
If I fail I will apologize for my big mouth.

You'll do fine. The Nord is extremely easy to program.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
Kaffimusic
anotherscott

Sponsor

Postby Kaffimusic » 20 Nov 2020, 14:16

CountFosco wrote:You want me to wait and see if the owner of a new keyboard can learn how to use it? Like the other 27405 members of this forum have? Um....can't hardly wait.

Are trying to insult me? USE a keyboard is not the same as programming sounds on it. There are thousands of keyboard"users" talking about the specs of their instruments, claiming theirs is the superior one. It´s just a very tiny minority who is programming their sounds and understanding how it´s done. The Nords are easy to program - okay, let´s see. You know, in the last 3 years I met 2 Nord users in my area, playing in bands, who asked ME how to program a sound for a song. Me, who never laid hands on a Nord. I was pretty much surprised about so little own initiative and understanding but on the other hand it´s quite common. They owned keyboards way more expensive than what I ever owned. Money can´t buy skills.
I do not really expect it to be different on a Nord than with other brands. Among those 27405members, who can really program sounds? I mean, not just mix 2 presets together or align sounds in a row for a song? Maybe you can, so I guess you are a member of rarity value. Congratulations, I expect the same of myself and a machine that can do what I want it to do.
Bragging with gear.
Kurzweil PC361, PC3k6, PC4-7, K2, Yam Motif7+ES6, SY77, MM6, DX7 II, ProphetREV2, Polybrute, Roland V-Synth, Waldorf Q, Bgr.Model D, Novation Ultranova, 2xNova Desktop, Mininova, Modal Argon8, UnoSynthPro, Dbox Nymphes, Akai MPC One
Kaffimusic

Postby anotherscott » 20 Nov 2020, 14:44

Nord Stage owners who have never programmed ANY synth before would have to go through a basic learning curve of understanding things like waveform selection, envelopes, filter cutoff/resonance, LFO shape/speed/depth, etc., so I'm not surprised that there are Stage owners who don't know these things, who use the boards for pianos, organs, and synth presets, without programming their own synth sounds. But anyone who is already familiar with those concepts or has ever programmed any synth sound on a Korg/Roland/Yamaha/Kurzweil workstation can program on a Nord in no time.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
DJKeys
anotherscott

Postby cookie » 20 Nov 2020, 15:28

Kaffimusic wrote:...Among those 27405members, who can really program sounds? I mean, not just mix 2 presets together or align sounds in a row for a song?...

I believe most of Nord users are not sound "designers", and mostly (live) music performers (at least for Stage users) that just need the right sound combination for their own use. They also find it quite easy to quickly setup programs that "do the job". Thanks also to the Nord community to share sounds and samples, as well as Nord to have such a fantastic Editor to make your own sample like a breeze.

I don't blame them for not exploring the Synth engine : I also find myself lazy in downloading samples that could certainly be recreated using the synthesis inside my Stage. But when you don't need it or if you think it's too time consuming, then many don't make the extra mile. Good thing is that you know this is somewhere inside and that you may one day take a look into it.

In the end, if the machine (whatever brand or model) fits your requirements or you have fun with it, then I'd say this is the most important !

Recently, I took a KingKorg and am totally discovering the VA world. Yes, this is facinating and a great addition to my Stage !

Fred
cookie
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby alex78 » 20 Nov 2020, 17:29

I know it's late, as your stage might have already arrived, but did you ever consider the nord wave 2 instead of the stage? if you are more into programming synthy sounds maybe it could be more suitable for you. It's a little cheaper also...

The author alex78 was thanked by:
baekgaard
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Kaffimusic » 21 Nov 2020, 12:27

I considered the wave, but it lacks the drawbars. I use that pretty often. And I understood it has 4 sections. This was a bit too few for my expectations.
And yes, the stage has arrived yesterday.
Bragging with gear.
Kurzweil PC361, PC3k6, PC4-7, K2, Yam Motif7+ES6, SY77, MM6, DX7 II, ProphetREV2, Polybrute, Roland V-Synth, Waldorf Q, Bgr.Model D, Novation Ultranova, 2xNova Desktop, Mininova, Modal Argon8, UnoSynthPro, Dbox Nymphes, Akai MPC One
Kaffimusic

Postby Tasten-Bert » 21 Nov 2020, 13:29

Seems as if you are having a wonderful weekend! Good luck and sunny regards from the middle of Germany
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby alex78 » 21 Nov 2020, 13:40

It has been discussed numberous times that you can not have the best of everything in just one keyboard. If you take the stage you get organ, piano and synth all in one portable package but you have to compromise with less features in each section. If you want 100% of everything then you will have to get multiple dedicated instruments. That is a lot of money and you forget portability in that case. Enjoy your time exploring your new toy!!!
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby DJKeys » 21 Nov 2020, 17:45

Kaffimusic wrote:I considered the wave, but it lacks the drawbars. I use that pretty often. And I understood it has 4 sections. This was a bit too few for my expectations.
And yes, the stage has arrived yesterday.

To Alex' point, that even though the Stage has 6 engines, only two of them can be synth/sample. On the Wave, all 4 of them can be synth/sample/FM/Wavetable.

If lack of drawbars is a deal-breaker, then you must get the Stage 3. The Wave does not have organ modeling or access to the Nord Piano Library.

-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 21 Nov 2020, 17:46, edited 2 times in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby anotherscott » 21 Nov 2020, 18:39

DJKeys wrote:To Alex' point, that even though the Stage has 6 engines, only two of them can be synth/sample. On the Wave, all 4 of them can be synth/sample/FM/Wavetable.

though you can connect, for example, an iPhone or iPad to the Stage and get two more (non-Nord) synth/sample sounds if needed via the EXT function.
Last edited by anotherscott on 21 Nov 2020, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
anotherscott

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum