Everything about the Clavia Nord Modular G2, G1, and Micromodular Synthesizers.

Midi interfaces for nord modular editor

Postby CharlyBeck » 20 Nov 2020, 15:53

It turned out for me over the years that only a few midi interfaces work properly with the nord modular editor.

Midisport 8x8 and Traktor S4 was good. Various others crashed the editor or the editor got no connection to the synth.

However, my midisport is damaged and s4 is on the other side of the room now. So i'm looking for a USB-Midi-Cable that works properly with the Nord Modular editor.

Any proposals?
CharlyBeck

Midi interfaces for nord modular editor

Sponsor

Re: Midi interfaces for nord modular editor

Postby maxpiano » 20 Nov 2020, 18:55

Hi, not a Nord Modular owner but I'd go for a Roland UM-one MK2, very reliable and no issues also with "dense" MIDI Sysex flows.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby catosim » 20 Nov 2020, 19:19

maxpiano wrote:Hi, not a Nord Modular owner but I'd go for a Roland UM-one MK2, very reliable and no issues also with "dense" MIDI Sysex flows.

Recently tried this cable, and during the driver-installation my MacBook crashed big-time.
Spent the next day re-installing the entire Mac (luckily had a Time Machine back-up). Offering my Roland UM MK2 cheap :lol:
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland JD08, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B
catosim

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby maxpiano » 20 Nov 2020, 19:58

catosim wrote:
maxpiano wrote:Hi, not a Nord Modular owner but I'd go for a Roland UM-one MK2, very reliable and no issues also with "dense" MIDI Sysex flows.

Recently tried this cable, and during the driver-installation my MacBook crashed big-time.
Spent the next day re-installing the entire Mac (luckily had a Time Machine back-up). Offering my Roland UM MK2 cheap :lol:

I use it with my Mac Mini and Mac Book Pro end even iPad since years... your MacBook problem is maybe elsewhere :mrgreen:

PS: there is a switch to use it in Class Compliant mode, no driver needed on Mac nor on Win, just to stay on the safe side ;-)
Last edited by maxpiano on 20 Nov 2020, 19:59, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby catosim » 20 Nov 2020, 20:53

maxpiano wrote:I use it with my Mac Mini and Mac Book Pro end even iPad since years... your MacBook problem is maybe elsewhere :mrgreen:

PS: there is a switch to use it in Class Compliant mode, no driver needed on Mac nor on Win, just to stay on the safe side ;-)

Yeah. Normally Mac OS doesn't require any driver for such gear. I just couldn't get it to work (trying to connect it to my D50 for transferring SysEx).
Simply googled the Roland site and found different drivers for Mac OS, and reckoned it could't do any harm installing a driver - but guess what... :D
Gonna troubleshoot this issue later, solved the connecting-problem with my D50 by using an old audio interface with MIDI.

BTW: Sorry for crashing this thread with this OT issue ;)
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland JD08, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B
catosim

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby CharlyBeck » 20 Nov 2020, 22:09

Thanks for the advice. This seems to be some of the not-so-cheap midi cables. Hope it's worth the price and it will not crash my (windows) daw ;)

I think i will give it a try after getting some more feedback. I also contacted the nord support wether they have any proposal.
Last edited by CharlyBeck on 20 Nov 2020, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
CharlyBeck

Return to Nord Modular Forum