Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Nord Lead 2X aftertouch receive bug

Postby ricard » 20 Nov 2020, 07:46

Having newly renovated the aftertouch in the Alpha Juno 2 I use primarily as a master keyboard, I was keen to try out the aftertouch receive feature on my 2X which I don't think I've ever tried before. When routing the aftertouch to the LFO 2 amount, I found an interesting bug: when the sensitivity is set to 7 (max), the top values of the aftertouch range cause the internal maths to go haywire and instead of getting maximum modulation it wraps around and essentially goes back to minimum. It gets worse when advancing the LFO 2 amount knob, and then also happens at lower aftertouch sensitivity settings. I haven't tried to see if it's the same for the LFO 1 amount, but controlling the filter, FM or osc 2 pitch seem fine.

Just curious if anyone else has come across this. Clavia only have a single firmware version for this machine in the Downloads section, so either they never found this problem, or they don't consider it worth fixing; indeed, for practical purposes, the workaround is just to turn the sensitivity down to a smaller value, as it's rather rare that one would want the full LFO amount anyway; normally a practical usage would be to bring in a little vibrato or tremolo, and not a multi-octave pitch sweep.
Last edited by ricard on 20 Nov 2020, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.
ricard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Nord Lead 2X aftertouch receive bug

Sponsor

Re: Nord Lead 2X aftertouch receive bug

Postby maxpiano » 20 Nov 2020, 09:23

HI ricard,

I don't own a 2X to test but I am curious: does this not happen if you use the 2X own ModWheel in the same fashion?

I'd expect that, regardless the control source, the algorithm managing that LFO modulation depth should behave the same way i.e. a 127 from internal MW or MIDI CC#1 should be equivalent to a 127 from MIDI Channel Pressure (but all is possible in this world) :-)
Last edited by maxpiano on 20 Nov 2020, 09:30, edited 4 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum