Outputs problem

Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.
Projet Xion
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Outputs problem

Post by Projet Xion »

Hi all,

I recently noticed a problem with the audio outputs of my Nord piano 4. Randomly, the left monitor make some noise and finally stop working. I first thought it came from my monitor but no matter when I'm listening music for example, it occurs only with the piano.
I changed the cables but always the same problem, the left output sometimes works, sometimes not.

I'm going to try with my previous keyboard but I'm sure it will work just fine.

Any idea? Maybe a question of balanced or unbalanced cables? (mine are unbalanced).
Hlaalu

Re: Outputs problem

Post by Hlaalu »

You can't use balanced cables on unbalanced outs (as the NP's are) -- or I should say you could but that won't make a difference since the ring and the ground would short inside the jack.

The most obvious thing that comes to mind is: have you tried with headphones? Same result? Have you tried swapping the outs on the NP to see whether it is still the left channel that's affected?
Projet Xion

Post by Projet Xion »

Hi,

No problem with the headphones output.
When I swap the outs, the problem is on the other monitor (right).

I switch the NP4 with my previous synth (yamaha EX7) and everything is OK.

The only thing I didn't tried is to change monitors, maybe they don't like NORD sampling instruments?
I think I will have to call my retailer..
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

Try with a different cable (balanced or unbalanced, doesn't matter), the one you have may be faulty i.e. its jack making a bad contact with NP4 outs
Last edited by maxpiano on 06 Nov 2020, 17:01, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
Projet Xion
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by FZiegler »

Some have reported having problems with one of the main outs when connecting a bad headphone adaptor into the headphone jack. If I've understood well.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post:
Projet Xion
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
Projet Xion

Post by Projet Xion »

I tried with several cables but it doesn't change anything.
Contrary to my earlier belief, the issue is THE SAME with the headphones.
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Post by cphollis »

FZiegler wrote:Some have reported having problems with one of the main outs when connecting a bad headphone adaptor into the headphone jack. If I've understood well.
If you are using a headphone adaptor (1/4" to 1/8") there are a bunch of mis-wired ones on the market, so get that out of the loop. If the unwanted noise only occurs in a narrow frequency range, it might be the monitors resonating on a particular frequency. I think it would be highly unlikely for your Nord to have a "bad channel" so I'd keep investigating external issues.
These users thanked the author cphollis for the post:
Projet Xion
I think I have gear issues ....
Projet Xion

Post by Projet Xion »

cphollis wrote:
FZiegler wrote:Some have reported having problems with one of the main outs when connecting a bad headphone adaptor into the headphone jack. If I've understood well.
If you are using a headphone adaptor (1/4" to 1/8") there are a bunch of mis-wired ones on the market, so get that out of the loop. If the unwanted noise only occurs in a narrow frequency range, it might be the monitors resonating on a particular frequency. I think it would be highly unlikely for your Nord to have a "bad channel" so I'd keep investigating external issues.
The unwanted noise and/or the lack of sound occurs randomly but simultaneously in the monitors AND the headphone. With my Yamaha EX7 (or any other audio source) no issue at all so I think that the monitors are not incriminated (but i can't be sure, my monitors are 10 years old).
Projet Xion

Post by Projet Xion »

cphollis wrote:
The unwanted noise and/or the lack of sound occurs randomly but simultaneously in the monitors AND the headphone. With my Yamaha EX7 (or any other audio source) no issue at all so I think that the monitors are not incriminated (but i can't be sure, my monitors are 10 years old).
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

Does this occur with all piano sounds or only one, or certain specific ones?