CC #7 and the Stage 3

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Hlaalu

CC #7 and the Stage 3

Post by Hlaalu »

This is probably me ignoring some basic thing about MIDI, but...

If you send a CC #7 message with a valute of 0 to the Stage 3 you mute the whole thing -- which is to be expected.

What I can't find is a way to bring volume back up again locally. To raise it back up it seems the only way to do it is to send another CC #7 message from an external source.

Is this really the way it works?
Last edited by Hlaalu on 26 Oct 2020, 11:48, edited 2 times in total.
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: CC #7 and the Stage 3

Post by FZiegler »

Have you already found out if CC#7 sets the master volume or the program volume level? The way you are asking tells me the master volume knob doesn't work to get sound back...

Have you tried
- setting the Prog Level (Shift + Program 5)?
- setting the swell pedal to volume and use it (or swell pedal to volume and control pedal to control+swell and use the control pedal)?
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
mon8169
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Post by mon8169 »

You are right!

Keyboards don't usually create CC#7 (or any other) messages to be processed internally by their own sound processor. They usually send the created messages to the MIDI out socket.

Edit: Except fort the pedals & pots, maybe!

Ramon
Last edited by mon8169 on 26 Oct 2020, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!
Ramon

Nord Stage Classic 76, Cantabile with Pianoteq, IK Hammond B-3X, NI B4-II and others.
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

FZiegler wrote:Have you already found out if CC#7 sets the master volume or the program volume level? The way you are asking tells me the master volume knob doesn't work to get sound back...
That's right, CC #7 doesn't seem to operate on the same "parameters" that the master knob or any of the sound engines level knobs operate on. So moving neither of those will bring back the volume, if this had been altered via CC #7.

Simply put, it's an altogether different parameter which can't seem to be accessed to from within the system. Of course switching to a different Program will reset all parameters, including CC #7. But I find it strange that, from within the same Program, volume can't be adjusted locally.
FZiegler wrote: Have you tried
- setting the Prog Level (Shift + Program 5)?
- setting the swell pedal to volume and use it (or swell pedal to volume and control pedal to control+swell and use the control pedal)?
1) Yes, but this only operates on the three sound engines' knobs, all three (or six, if you count panels') at once. So again a different parameter than CC #7.
2) I do have a swell pedal and an expression pedal, but neither of those is set on volume. There's a chance it might work actually. But it wouldn't be of much convenience since the pedals need to stay on the setting they are now for my needs...
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

mon8169 wrote: Edit: Except fort the pedals & pots, maybe!
Well pots, we already know they don't create a CC #7 message. Pedals, as FZiegler suggests... I'll have to check and find out when I can.
Last edited by Hlaalu on 26 Oct 2020, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

Hlaalu wrote:
mon8169 wrote: Edit: Except fort the pedals & pots, maybe!
Well pots, we already know they don't create a CC #7 message. Pedals, as FZiegler suggests... I'll have to check and find out when I can.
Yes, no Panel control generates a CC#7 on Global, tehy work at Panel/Section level but... the Swell Pedal configured as "Volume" should, try that.