Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Re: Nord Wave 2 introduced :)

Postby Copia » 15 Jun 2020, 21:30

DJ,

Any updates on your time with the Wave 2? How have you found it pairs with the Stage 3 instead of the A1 in gigs?
Did you get what you wanted out of the reverbs?
Copia

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Sponsor

Postby DJKeys » 15 Jun 2020, 21:37

Copia wrote:DJ,

Any updates on your time with the Wave 2? How have you found it pairs with the Stage 3 instead of the A1 in gigs?
Did you get what you wanted out of the reverbs?

I have put in a lot of time programming the Wave 2. I needed to program about 80 patches to supplement the ones in my NS3 where I was using the A1 before. It is a great instrument, in my opinion, the only thing I have not figured out is when I use the NS3 Extern section to play sounds on the W2, even if both keyboards have identical split points, the NS 3 doesn't seem to recognize the points in the W2 and plays sounds outside of the splits. The Drive feature in the EQ section is not as strong as I would like, but the filter drive is better than the A1.

No big problem with the reverbs, I just find that for live playing, super long reverbs like Cathedral are mostly unnecessary. I would rather have two Stage Reverbs like the NS3 has.

The combination of the NS3 and the W2 is about as good as it gets for what I do.

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

The author DJKeys was thanked by:
Copia
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby Copia » 15 Jun 2020, 21:54

That’s great to hear. I love the combination of the Stage 3 and A1, but I could imagine more flexibility with the Wave 2 in breadth of sounds. Interesting to hear the split points aren’t recognized. I’m surprised the Stage 3 would trigger a sound outside the range you set for it to play.

Have you utilized importing your own sounds via Sound Manager 3 yet? I’m looking forward to leads I create there with the Wave 2.
Copia

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby DJKeys » 15 Jun 2020, 22:42

The NS3 plays in the correct zones, but when triggering notes on the W2 it will trigger notes outside of the split points on the W2, even though the split points and widths are identical on both instruments.

I have imported a few samples using version 3 and it is much easier, faster and intuitive than any previous versions. Also, the latest version of NSM does something I have always wanted. I often save all my custom programs (just the programs, not samples, etc) and it used to duplicate the names and add a 1 or 2. Now, it simply overwrites the existing program with a new modified date. I love this-

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Postby zahush76 » 24 Sep 2020, 06:52

I could live with the one lfo - but the fact that it has just one destination is lame. And don't give that "performance shmeformance keyboard" excuse. The Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead 4 etc are all "Performance oriented" nord keyboards.
zahush76

Postby oortone » 01 Oct 2020, 08:36

robinkle wrote:...
Only one LFO: Well this depends on the way you use the new Group feature, you may have 4 LFO's in one sound, at the expense of multiple layers. But if you think about it though, a huge sound with multiple LFO's making movement, would leave less space for more layering anyways so it's a trade-off that makes sense for most situations....

As far as I can conclude from the manual and other discussions I can not have the four LFO:s (one from each layer) modulating one and the same layer. They can only modulate their own layer. Right?

robinkle wrote:[quote="tsss27"

You are correct about one destination. But remember, this is per layer. So if you do not group the LFO's, but you group the filter section, then you can have multiple LFO's on one filter. Or one LFO to each grouped section representing the destinations of the LFO. So if you have sections of layer A and B grouped together, but the LFO from Layer A and B isn't grouped together, then you have two LFO's at your disposal.

But are the LFO:s actualy shared (their signals mixed and routed to "one" filter), seems to me the actual filter settings are shared but each layer is modulated by it's own LFO? I mean, otherwise what would happen if filter and oscillators are shared between two layers but LFO of layer 1 is routed to pitch and LFO of layer 2 is routed to filter? As an example.
Last edited by oortone on 01 Oct 2020, 08:42, edited 2 times in total.
oortone

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby DJKeys » 01 Oct 2020, 17:04

Indeed, the LFOs only affect their individual layers in a filter group. I actually think this is a smart design, as there is still a lot of complexity possible, especially when adding the mod envelope and other effects.

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Postby oortone » 14 Oct 2020, 00:06

DJKeys wrote:Indeed, the LFOs only affect their individual layers in a filter group. I actually think this is a smart design, as there is still a lot of complexity possible, especially when adding the mod envelope and other effects.

-dj

Yes that make sense. It would be very difficult to understand patches otherwise.
But I find one LFO per layer to be less than ideal for me, actually that's a dealbreaker for me. 2020 I expect to get at least 2 LFO's on a modern and rather expensive synthesizer.
Last edited by oortone on 15 Oct 2020, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

The author oortone was thanked by:
zahush76
oortone

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby zahush76 » 16 Oct 2020, 08:30

DJKeys wrote:Indeed, the LFOs only affect their individual layers in a filter group. I actually think this is a smart design, as there is still a lot of complexity possible, especially when adding the mod envelope and other effects.

-dj

If it's not too much trouble, could you please record an example?
I'm trying to imagine what this would sound like in a situation like this:
You set the filter to be shared by all layers, but keep the lfo's separate. If in this case each lfo modulating the filter - would impact only the filter on its own layer - while the filter is shared by all layers - what would it sound like? Four separate filters?
zahush76

Postby andy_felon » 25 Oct 2020, 23:04

How to switch sounds using the Program change for banks F-J???
I tried Bank LSB as written in the manual, but isn't work.
andy_felon

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Wave Forum