General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Newbie questions

Postby Jazzclimber » 21 Oct 2020, 13:06

Hello everyone! I am totally new to NS3 (used to play base and violin). Don’t judge the total greenhorn too harshly, - but when I play simple 3-note minor chords in piano settings (good quality earphones) they sound slightly “out of tune”, “flat”.

I checked Fine Tune & it’s 440 & 0 cents.

I realize it’s hard for you to try and troubleshoot a problem without hearing what I’m referring to, but:
Is there a way to check if my new NS3 (a few months old) is “out of tune” or “in-tune”?

Could anyone suggest any other diagnostic first steps?

Being an ER nurse in my other life, I will also strongly consider hearing/mental health check :D

Thank you so much!
Jazzclimber

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Newbie questions

Sponsor

Re: Newbie questions

Postby RichardG » 21 Oct 2020, 16:26

Hi and welcome to NUF !

I've never read anything here relating to the piano being out of tune...
There was a massive discussion about organs but that's another section entirely :D

Make sure you're using a single panel (A or B) so piano's aren't 'stacked' (you can do that with the NS3 as you probably know).
Check if the layer-detune function is off.

You could bring in the synth with a pure sine-wave with no filters whatsoever and they should be pitch-perfect.
Try different piano sounds as well; some have more 'character' than others.

I also read a couple of times here that there are bad adapters for headphones which influence the sound.
If you have another set or can try using speakers that might determine something as well.

Otherwise we have loads of experts here on almost anything so if this doesn't help someone else will !
The following statement is not true. The previous statement is true.

The author RichardG was thanked by:
Jazzclimber
RichardG

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby Schorsch » 21 Oct 2020, 16:56

Hi and welcome!

Can you save your settings in a program and upload the program file here, including the exact version of the piano sample which you are using like for example “White Grand Large” or “Amber Medium”? This would be quite helpful, the program can be loaded in a NS3 of a forum member here (like me ;-) ) for testing
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..

The author Schorsch was thanked by:
Jazzclimber
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Jazzclimber » 21 Oct 2020, 18:16

Thank you guys so so much! You gave me very good, solid leads, let me do exactly what you suggest (me being a newbie, it’ll take a bit) & I’ll report back to you. Cheers, Andrei
Jazzclimber

Postby FZiegler » 21 Oct 2020, 18:41

Hi Jazzclimber,

a NS3 doesn't allow different temperments - it's always in equal temperment, which means it's always slightly out of tune! As a violonist, you should be used to other temperments. Is that your problem?

There is a detune feature in the piano engine section sound in the NS3. But it should (Edit: NOT) give a flat sound impression: It should enrich the sound.

The only things that make a NS3 be out of tune (equal temperment) is having a piano sample sound base being deliberately out of tune - like the honky tonk piano samples.
Last edited by FZiegler on 22 Oct 2020, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars

The author FZiegler was thanked by 2 members, including:
BerretjeJazzclimber
FZiegler
Donator

Postby Klondyke77 » 22 Oct 2020, 11:19

Hi Jazzclimber,

Nord tends to leave the piano samples as "live" as possible. Means there maybe single keys slightly out of tune - as they where on the sampled instrument. They also leave mechanical lags on single keys. The goal is to get the sound more living than (boaring) straight.
Especially the XL versions of the samples have souch "liveness" as they have own samples for each key and all keys.
If you have problems with tuning check out another piano sample or try the smaller versions of the samples (L or M).

This is what a heard and read so far - correct me please if I'm wrong.
I my opinion Nord has the best Piano engine on the market so far. And I never had a more inspiring instrument than the S3! :D

The author Klondyke77 was thanked by:
Jazzclimber
Klondyke77

Postby NORD_Hammond » 22 Oct 2020, 13:20

@Jazzclimber,
you are absolutely right! On different pianos different notes are slighty out of tune. Was disturbing me at first, but with time one can feel the "real sound" created by that true sampling.
cheers

The author NORD_Hammond was thanked by 3 members, including:
JazzclimberSchorschanalogika
NORD_Hammond

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Jazzclimber » 22 Oct 2020, 17:11

You guys are terrific, thank you! I’ll keep practicing while exploring different piano settings. One way or another it’ll get better. Cheers!
Jazzclimber

Return to Nord Stage Forum