General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Using Nord Stage 3 as MainStage controller

Postby kingy75 » 19 Oct 2020, 14:24

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to use a Nord Stage 3 as a MainStage controller for a show shortly and wanted to ask is there anything I need to be aware of/any settings I need to make/change on the Nord in order to do so?

I'm planning on using the following pedals:

Sustain pedal - Roland DP-10
Patch advance pedal - Boss FS-5U (connected to the Program Up/Down connector I assume)
Volume pedal - Roland EV5 (conneced to the Control Pedal connector)

Does this look right?

kingy75

Using Nord Stage 3 as MainStage controller

Sponsor

Re: Using Nord Stage 3 as MainStage controller

Postby Alaskanulu » 19 Oct 2020, 14:45

That looks good to me! And yes connect to the program up/down!
Alaskanulu

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby FZiegler » 19 Oct 2020, 16:20

Hi kingy75,

A Nord Stage is of course not the best MIDI controller - that's what I understood you want it to use for. But the basic things should work:
a) note on/off plus velocity;
b) sustain on/off;
c) volume pedal (Control pedal/Expression MIDI CC #11);
d) alas, I would be surprised if the program up/down pedal would generate any MIDI command. Don't think so. I'd think that you have to do more for that: Set some programs for the ext section that send a certain program number each (program change). For that, set the EXTERN MIDI channel to what you want to receive in Mainstage. Or try to change sounds via "Song part" MIDI CC #5 and use sound mode (don't know if that works).
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 19 Oct 2020, 17:25

kingy75 wrote:I'm planning to use a Nord Stage 3 as a MainStage controller for a show shortly and wanted to ask is there anything I need to be aware of/any settings I need to make/change on the Nord in order to do so?

Are you going to be using Mainstage sounds exclusively? Or will you be using a combination of Nord sounds and Mainstage sounds? If the latter, will you be alternating between them, or splitting/layering to play the two simultaneously?
FZiegler wrote:d) alas, I would be surprised if the program up/down pedal would generate any MIDI command. Don't think so.

I think it would probably generate the MIDI Program Change corresponding to the program you were switching to. IOW, if you were playing Nord program A:11 (which corresponds to MIDI Program 0), and hit Program Up to go to A:12 (which corresponds to MIDI Program 1), I think it would send Mainstage the command for MIDI Program Change 1.
anotherscott

Return to Nord Stage Forum