General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

NS3 Backup is much faster now?

Postby Y-Lnordist » 01 Aug 2019, 17:01

Hey everyone :)
I'm an owner of Ns3 and Ns2.

When I was backing up my NS2, the whole procedure took about an Hour.
Now After trying to backup my NS3 several times , it took something like a minute or two.
I suspect the backup didn't go as expected because it completed very quickly.

Did anybody notice if the speed of the backup process is now (with the NS3) much faster than it was with the NS2?

I will be happy and grateful to get an answer.
Y-Lnordist

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

NS3 Backup is much faster now?

Sponsor

Re: NS3 Backup is much faster now?

Postby WannitBBBad » 01 Aug 2019, 17:57

The long duration is if you're backing up your pianos and samples. If youe backup is only a couple minutes, it sounds like you are only saving the programs and not the actual piano and sample files.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby ajstan » 01 Aug 2019, 19:00

There is a cache feature in Nord Sound Manager that was added in July of 2017, so the first backup to a computer will take a long time, but the others will be much quicker (like only a minute or two). You will notice that all of your backup files are around 2.4GB so you have everything you need should you perform a restore.

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/software- ... te-history
Last edited by ajstan on 01 Aug 2019, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer

The author ajstan was thanked by:
pablomastodon
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Y-Lnordist » 02 Aug 2019, 02:39

Yes, thank you !
It was that update indeed, which is only available for the Ns3. Tnx again.
Y-Lnordist

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby cookie » 12 Oct 2020, 11:22

Hello,

Does anyone have information on the availability of the cache feature for the Stage 2 ?
Of course I understand this is not Nord's top priority but maybe this feature can be quickly implemented ?

Fred
cookie
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Spider » 12 Oct 2020, 14:17

Even on the NS2, if you don't create a new backup file but only update an existing one, Nord Sound Manager will check if pianos and samples are the same, and only update the one that have been uploaded-cancelled. In this way, the backup lasts just a few minutes.

Of course, this will not work if you want to keep every old version of your setup, just in case.
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby maxpiano » 12 Oct 2020, 14:44

Spider wrote:Even on the NS2, if you don't create a new backup file but only update an existing one, Nord Sound Manager will check if pianos and samples are the same, and only update the one that have been uploaded-cancelled. In this way, the backup lasts just a few minutes.

Of course, this will not work if you want to keep every old version of your setup, just in case.

Well you can still make a copy of the old version (saving it with a different name) before performing the new backup and then reuse the original (last backup) file, to take advantage of the auto-update feature ;)
Last edited by maxpiano on 12 Oct 2020, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
Spider
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Spider » 13 Oct 2020, 16:27

maxpiano wrote:
Spider wrote:Even on the NS2, if you don't create a new backup file but only update an existing one, Nord Sound Manager will check if pianos and samples are the same, and only update the one that have been uploaded-cancelled. In this way, the backup lasts just a few minutes.

Well you can still make a copy of the old version (saving it with a different name) before performing the new backup and then reuse the original (last backup) file, to take advantage of the auto-update feature ;)

hahaha of course, I actually do this but forgot to write it. Always better to give more advice rather than less!
;)
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Stage Forum