Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Problem with osc mod env

Postby andy_felon » 11 Oct 2020, 20:53

Guys I have problem with osc mod envelop. When I choose osc pitch and set amount on -0,2 or 0,2 I have big drift pith this osc to other osc without mod env. Maybe it's bug. Please check on your NW 2.
andy_felon

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2

Problem with osc mod env

Sponsor

Re: Problem with osc mod env

Postby artofmoog » 12 Oct 2020, 13:28

I just tried this on an Init patch - I'm not seeing any unexpected behaviour. I enabled two layers, dialled one with 0.2 osc mod pitch amount (and I also tried other amounts), and the other with none. I get a little expected pitch movement on the modulated layer, as per the envelope settings, and then it settles back to being perfectly in tune with the 0.0 layer.

But... the Osc Mod Env has the AR (Attack/Release) mode as well, and that works a different way. For the default AD (Attack/Decay) mode, modulated pitch deviates from 0 (in tune) during the attack phase, and goes back to it in the decay phase. Notes start and finish bang in tune, as long as the osc mod envelope has enough time to complete its whole cycle. However, if you have it in AR mode then the attack phase brings the note into tune - where it sits for the sustain portion (it really should be called an 'ASR') - and then pulls it back out again when the key is released and the envelope release phase triggers. So notes essentially begin and end out of tune. I wonder if it's that you're hearing. It certainly can make for some super-wonky tuning if you have amp release time set quite long. It would obviously do it with any envelope amount though, not just 0.2.

This is on the latest 1.14 OS, btw.

The author artofmoog was thanked by 3 members, including:
AlaskanuluMarlowesDJKeys
artofmoog

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 3

Postby andy_felon » 12 Oct 2020, 17:47

thanks. When I set -0.2 or 0.2 I have drift 1 semitone
I add mp3.
Attachments
nord osc mod.mp3
(460.28 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Last edited by andy_felon on 12 Oct 2020, 17:53, edited 2 times in total.
andy_felon

Postby artofmoog » 12 Oct 2020, 19:32

That is normal, as far as I can make out. Pretty much how mine sounds, in AD mode, 0.2 amount, instant attack and a second or so decay. With an amount or 2.7 it's already an octave. Were you looking for much finer control (ie. being able to modulate by just a few cents)?
artofmoog

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 3

Postby andy_felon » 12 Oct 2020, 21:10

artofmoog wrote:That is normal, as far as I can make out. Pretty much how mine sounds, in AD mode, 0.2 amount, instant attack and a second or so decay. With an amount or 2.7 it's already an octave. Were you looking for much finer control (ie. being able to modulate by just a few cents)?

yeap, nord wave 1 or nord lead 2x doesn't have drift like a nord wave 2. On NW2 I can't get small pitch modulation.
andy_felon

Return to Nord Wave Forum