Osc control knob - NW2 vs NS3, what you gain what you lose

Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer
zahush76

Osc control knob - NW2 vs NS3, what you gain what you lose

Post by zahush76 »

Been digging deeper on my NS3 synth engine and was wondering (and perhaps a bit confused) after going thru the Wave 2 user manual.
I understand there are certain parameters which have been removed from the Wave 2 as there are dedicated knobs for that - such as tuning of the oscillator.
Things that i see which are different, and at least at first sight seem like a step back on the Wave 2 are for example the oscillator sync, which on the Stage 3 works on the analog categories, and also the "wave" categories and "formant" waves category.
On the Wave 2 it seems you have a set of waves dedicated just for sync sounds - but at the same time you lose the ability to apply sync to almost all waveshapes - which behave differently.

Also different are some categories of "mixed waves" that you can find on the NS3 which are very useful. Stuff such as a regular waveform plus a bell or a noise etc - where you can tune the additional sound and use the osc control to determine the amount of mix between the two. This also works for samples so you can do some cool mixtures of acoustic sounds and noise or acoustic sounds and saw/sqr/tri etc. All of this is gone from the Wave 2 algorithms, me thinks (unless i'm missing something).
Also, fm and waveshape could be applied on the NS3 on all the first 3 categories (analog, waves, formant). Not so on the Wave 2.
And finally, "ring modulation" (not as an fx) could be applied on the NS3 on all the waves from 'analog', 'waves', 'formant' - and also the samples.
Both ringmod and shape modulation are missing from the Wave 2 when it comes to the digital waves which on the NS3 can change their tone but on the Wave 2 remain static and you can't change their shape, sync or fm them.

What, to my understanding, you gain on the Wave 2 engine - is a dedicated tune and fine tune knobs, multiwaves, a more complex FM engine.
Did i miss anything?
If i'm mistaken or completely missed how the osc section on the Wave 2 works then please correct me.