Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

How do "Grouping" works?

Postby zahush76 » 17 Sep 2020, 11:05

I don't have the wave 2 yet, and was wondering. I see you can group layers together completely - or decide just on certain aspects to be grouped. For example on the front panel i see you can decide you group the Filter for some layers (let's say all 4 for the sake of discussion) but can decide not to group the lfos.
So... will this give me one filter affecting all 4 layers at once - while having 4 independant lfos which i can use together on the same filter to create interesting/complex sounds of it being modulated by 4 different lfos, each with a different shape and rate?
zahush76

How do "Grouping" works?

Sponsor

Re: How do "Grouping" works?

Postby DJKeys » 17 Sep 2020, 17:17

Hi Z-

Yes, this is exactly how it works. You can group all four layers to have filter cutoff morphed by the wheel, for example, and also have each layer separately affected by the LFO parameters including wave shape, rate and amount. You can also pan each layer at different places in the stereo field, and apply other different FX to each layer for even more variety.

-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 17 Sep 2020, 18:10, edited 6 times in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

The author DJKeys was thanked by:
Marlowes
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby zahush76 » 17 Sep 2020, 19:14

DJKeys wrote:Hi Z-

Yes, this is exactly how it works. You can group all four layers to have filter cutoff morphed by the wheel, for example, and also have each layer separately affected by the LFO parameters including wave shape, rate and amount. You can also pan each layer at different places in the stereo field, and apply other different FX to each layer for even more variety.

-dj

Thanks, but i think you're describing a different scenario than what i meant.
I'm asking about a scenario in which only the filter is shared by all 4 layers while keeping everything else independant.
In a scenario like this do i get "one filter to rule them all", while using all 4 different lfos to modulate the one filter, each with its different rate and shape?
Can it be turned, basically, to a one layer synth with one filter and four lfos being able to modulate it?
zahush76

Postby DJKeys » 17 Sep 2020, 19:21

Well, I am not sure we are saying something different, so perhaps my explanation could be better. When the filter is grouped for all four layers, each LFO can indeed be used to modulate that grouped filter in a different way. I just tested this. So, all layers share the same filter settings, and those settings can be modulated with a different LFO treatment for each layer. In addition, all other effects are also independent per layer, unless you group them as well. Any setting that is not grouped remains independent per layer.

-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 17 Sep 2020, 19:43, edited 4 times in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Marlowes
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby zahush76 » 19 Sep 2020, 21:22

DJKeys wrote:Well, I am not sure we are saying something different, so perhaps my explanation could be better. When the filter is grouped for all four layers, each LFO can indeed be used to modulate that grouped filter in a different way. I just tested this. So, all layers share the same filter settings, and those settings can be modulated with a different LFO treatment for each layer. In addition, all other effects are also independent per layer, unless you group them as well. Any setting that is not grouped remains independent per layer.

-dj

Still uncertain if we're describing the same thing.
I'm thinking that "group" four layers and share the same filter - should be like a synth that has 4 osc, 4 lfos etc, but one main filter.
When you write that "all layers share the same filter settings, and those settings can be modulated with a different LFO treatment for each layer" - shounds to me that you hear 4 copies of the same filter, each being modulated differently, which is not what i meant.
For the sake of comparison take a prophet rev 2 which has 4 lfos. You can decide you route all four lfo to the filter, each with a different rate to create complex movement or rhythmic movement which is the result of one filter being modulated by 4 independent lfos.
On the wave 2, it seems (correct me if i'm wrong), what you describe is that if you choose a 24db lowpass filter and group all layers, when you modulate the filter with each lfo what you hear is the sound of the filter on layer 1, plus the sound of the filter on layer 2, plus the sound of the filter on layer 3 plus the sound of the filter on layer 4. They all happen to be the same filter type - but it's not the same sonic result as having one filter being modulated by 4 lfos.
But perhaps i misunderstood. Can you post an audio example?
zahush76

Postby DJKeys » 19 Sep 2020, 21:39

There definitely was a misunderstanding here. As I mentioned on GearSlutz, you cannot use 4 different LFOs to modulate all layers simultaneously. Each LFO can only modulate its own layer in the shared filter settings, which is what I mentioned earlier.

However, I do not find this much of a limitation for the music I make. If you are doing advanced sound design or film scoring, this may be something you need.

-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 19 Sep 2020, 22:09, edited 2 times in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Marlowes
DJKeys