Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

White Grand: playability experience

Postby cauldron » 18 Sep 2020, 20:03

White Grand XL 6.1.npno (244.9 MB) gives a very natural and fluid experience especially in the mids and highs. There is the impression that the basses have a restricted tonal mapping as if there were few "velocity layers".

As a comparison VSL Synchron Bosendorfer Imperial (290GB!) is sampled with acoustics (even with close microphones), with many microphones and with many velocity layers. "With over 4,000 samples per key and almost 20,000 samples for microphone position, the Bösendorfer Imperial boasts breathtaking authenticity."

Both are very enjoyable, I don't know how Nord can do this with only 250MB! Obviously you feel the greater micro detail with VSL but that doesn't mean Nord White Grand isn't enjoyable.

In my opinion White Grand if it had better bass mapping would be perfect. In fact, the timbral variability in the bass is more critical than in the mid-highs and I have the impression that adding other "velocity layers" can compensate for this problem.

Summing up, NG has 2GB of memory so is it conceivable a White Grand XXXXL 2GB with x8 samples to improve the micro detail especially in the bass?
cauldron

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

White Grand: playability experience

Sponsor

Re: White Grand: playability experience

Postby FZiegler » 19 Sep 2020, 00:09

Hi couldron,

sounds like phantasy. There is a White Grand with about 24 velocity layers or so from SampleTekk - I don't have any idea how much space it takes on a PC/Mac (was it with the NI Kontakt engine or something like that). But you won't get such samples for any live instrument, I think.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: White Grand: playability experience

Postby cauldron » 19 Sep 2020, 18:24

Hi FZiegler,
a piano is good not so much for its technical specifications but for the fact that it can be used favorably for an expressive purpose and for a musical style. This applies to both acoustic and digital pianos. I must say that I like Nord Piano Library and sampling is extremely efficient for size!

Pianoteq builds a sound for each velocity but doesn't always sound like a real piano especially in the bass.
VSL Synchron Pianos uses a "robot finger" for maximum sampling accuracy ("The MIDI controlled system delivers more than 100 velocities and various release samples, depending on the preceding note length and various release speeds."):
https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Synchron_Packa ... nos_Bundle

I recently bought Nord Grand after trying many models of stage pianos and digital pianos. Perhaps the Yamaha CLP-700 series was more interesting with the CFX piano but I liked the idea of ​​Nord as an operating system with upgradeable sounds.

I think Nord can do even better with 2GB of memory. We await the next developments of the Nord Piano Library...Nord could compete with digital pianos.
cauldron

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum