All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

white noise from electro into interface?

Postby vh4781 » 13 Sep 2020, 20:33

So I am trying to record into Logic ProX with my Electro 6D using an Apogee Duet 2 interface and found that there is a significant amount of white noise coming from my monitors and onto all my recordings. After eliminating things one by one I found that the minute I unplugged the Electro from the chain the white noise stopped. Does anyone know if there is some kind of control on the keyboard to reduce the noise it puts out? I changed cables to rule that out as well and it is indeed the Electro itself causing all the white noise. Post production noise filters don't do it any justice id prefer to have it reduced ahead of time if possible. Im open to any suggestions...
vh4781

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

white noise from electro into interface?

Sponsor

Re: white noise from electro into interface?

Postby DJKeys » 13 Sep 2020, 20:59

This is likely a gain staging issue. How hot are you running the Electro? It is unbalanced out, so make sure the master volume on the instrument is 7-10, then adjust the rest of the chain accordingly. You will get a lot of noise with any instrument if the output gain is set too low-

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
iMac i7 10.15.7
Studio One 4.6
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

The author DJKeys was thanked by:
vh4781
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby vh4781 » 15 Sep 2020, 17:28

Thanks for the input dj, I can turn the master volume off completely and it's still noisy. I've messed around on the Duet itself as far as output gain and no matter what I do it seems it just gives me noise. I can plug my guitar or bass directly into the same input on my interface and there's almoat zero white noise. That's why I was thinking there was some kinda setting on the electro itself that was producing this... I'll keep messing with it
vh4781

Postby DJKeys » 15 Sep 2020, 19:11

Sure. This seems very unusual to me.

Have you tried just connecting the Left and Right outputs separately to isolate the source, or are both outputs noisy?

Do you hear the noise through headphones?

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
iMac i7 10.15.7
Studio One 4.6
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby pterm » 15 Sep 2020, 20:31

Is your NE6 connected to USB in this setup?
USB might contaminate audio on Nord due to Nord's use of unbalanced audio (Nord's analog and digital circuits share a common voltage reference).

It might be helpful to get a recording that includes the noise, and a complete wiring diagram (in the simplest configuration that produces the noise).
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby vh4781 » 28 Sep 2020, 23:49

I think it might be a software issue with the apogee maestro mixer but I find it odd that its only found on my Nord electro. nothing with guitar, bass etc, thru either input. I get it on both inputs and with or without headphones the moment I plug into the duet interface.
vh4781

Return to Accessories and Amplification