Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Problems with my midi connection

Postby COCONORD » 02 Jun 2020, 13:02

Hi everyone. I have face some problems lately with my Nord device. I own a Nord electro 3 and it has always run efficently. Nevertheless, last week, my DAW didn't recognize it, actually, I thought that it had to do with the computer but I tried with a different keyboard and it goes fine. So, I I tried to restore my Nord to factory settings, sometimes its as easy as that. But again I bump into troubles. The lastest official version updated in the web is not supported anymore by the sound manager, when I connect it through USB It shows up this message :

The OS version of the connected Nord Electro 3 is not supported.

Please check about box for supported OS versions.

Please visit http://www.nordkeyboards.com for the latest software updates.

Can anybody help me with this?
I need MIDI connection on it to write music. And Im lost as hell

Thanks in advance
COCONORD

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Problems with my midi connection

Sponsor

Re: Problems with my midi connection

Postby Akorder » 02 Jun 2020, 15:44

Welcome to the forum!

Has it really worked for you that way - MIDI straight from Electro 3's USB to a DAW? A comparison chart of NE models suggests, that midi over USB was first introduced on NE4. In NE3 USB only supported downloading sounds and OS updates. https://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/ ... ison-chart

Assuming this is the case, an inexpensive MIDI (5-pin) to USB cable would solve the problem.

Don't knwo if there was a workaround NE3's for direct USB-MIDI connection, but the recent changes from 32 to 64 bit systems have certainly made many old usb drivers obsolete.

See also this topic: nord-electro-forum-f9/nord-electro-2-64bit-usb-driver-t19610.html
Last edited by Akorder on 02 Jun 2020, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
Akorder

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby JohnT » 02 Jun 2020, 18:41

Akorder wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Has it really worked for you that way - MIDI straight from Electro 3's USB to a DAW? A comparison chart of NE models suggests, that midi over USB was first introduced on NE4. In NE3 USB only supported downloading sounds and OS updates. https://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/ ... ison-chart

He did not state he was trying MIDI over USB. He connected the USB cable to try to restore the board since it wasn't being recognized by his DAW.
Current rig: Nord Electro SW4, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000, QSC K8.2, QSC K10.2, Yamaha HS80M, Auratones, Mackie 802-VLZ3, Focusrite Saphire Pro 40, MOTU MicroLite, Samsung Servo 120a, Sony MDR 7506 & MDR 7509HD, Sennheiser HD-650
JohnT

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby pablomastodon » 02 Jun 2020, 21:10

Hi Coconord,

Now that you have updated the OS on your instrument, you must also update Nord Sound Manager. The older version of Nord Sound Manager which you are running does not recognize the newer NE3 OS (because the newer OS wasn't born yet when that version of NSM was written). That will solve that secondary problem.

As for your first problem, you say that your DAW is not recognizing the NE3. What does this mean? It should not be possible for any DAW to "recognize" the NE3 because it does not possess midi-over-USB capability. A DAW can recognize a midi interface being used with the NE3, but not the NE3 itself. If you can shed more light on this question, perhaps one among us can be of more help.

Bless, Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
Berretje
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby COCONORD » 03 Jun 2020, 19:35

Hi everybody. I really appreciate your quick response. The first problem I have already solve it. Let get down to the second one, in fact, the main one itself. I have always used my Nord as a midi controller "through" the midi's IN & OUT ports. I ignore wich Nord was the first one to introduce te USB option, actually, I have always worked through midi ports. If I said something contrary in my first message I didn't mean it. The probem is that I don't know why, it suddenly stop working. It was always recognize and paired with my pc as fast as I switched it on. any Idea. Why would be the steps I should follow to locate the issue?

Thanks again. You know how desperate can be this whole thing
COCONORD

Postby cgrafx » 03 Jun 2020, 19:41

COCONORD wrote:Hi everybody. I really appreciate your quick response. The first problem I have already solve it. Let get down to the second one, in fact, the main one itself. I have always used my Nord as a midi controller "through" the midi's IN & OUT ports. I ignore wich Nord was the first one to introduce te USB option, actually, I have always worked through midi ports. If I said something contrary in my first message I didn't mean it. The probem is that I don't know why, it suddenly stop working. It was always recognize and paired with my pc as fast as I switched it on. any Idea. Why would be the steps I should follow to locate the issue?

Thanks again. You know how desperate can be this whole thing

That sounds like a problem with the MIDI interface not the Nord. What MIDI interface are you using to connect to your PC?
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby beck1 » 22 Jun 2020, 12:22

Hello,

I have Nord Electro 6 HP and although the DAW recognizes my device, MIDI messages are not sent. Does anyone know how I can solve this?

thanks and regards
Last edited by beck1 on 22 Jun 2020, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
beck1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby amateurblonde » 15 Sep 2020, 02:58

I have a NE3 and my M Audio UNO MIdi to USB interface has NEVER worked. According to M Audio, it doesn't require a driver with my Catalina 10.15.6 OS (I'm also DAW PTX 2020.9.1). I have been able in the past to connect other MIDI Controller keyboards, but I'm now reduced to only having this NORD NE3. I wish to connect it as my MIDI controller, for string arrangements (virtual instruments).

I spent days trying to figure out how to get the MIDI coming out of the NE3 and have never once had success. The light on the side of the UNO M Audio Midi interface 'blue egg' has only ever lit up 'USB'. The Midi 'IN' and 'OUT' lights have never come on.I'm convinced it will never ever work. The NORD NE3 manual is no walk in the park, especially for someone looking to quickly understand how to connect the NE3 as a MIDI controller - with really unclear explanations on the steps. So many people in the forum are saying the NE3 it's not 'the ideal' midi controller, but it has Midi connections on the back, so why shouldn't I use it? I need help connecting my NE3 as a midi controller. I have a rather old M Audio MIDI UNO to USB interface. I'm happy to buy a new one, but can someone please tell me it will work? Has anyone successfully used the NE3 with M Audio Uno 'blue egg' USB interface? does the change from 32 to 64bit have somethign to do with my problems?
amateurblonde

Return to Nord Electro Forum