Share and download User samples and project files (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4, *.nsmproj)"
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of patches and samples.

Question about a existing sample on NS2EX88

Postby uro-frank » 11 Sep 2020, 16:59

Hi there... I am newby with creating samples for my Nordstage 2 EX 88. I have a sample in position 16 of the sample storage which plays a loop blues 12 bar scheme with bass, guitar and drums. With split key I put the synthi section at the very bottom, then at the top I improvise on it with the electric piano. It is programmed that when I press a key in the low synthi section, the loop begins endlessly, but depending on the key, e.g. higher or lower key and speed is played. Is it possible to reprogram this to only play a different key but not a different speed? I don't know how to edit the sample accordingly. I think I would know how to do it with the sample editor if I had a WAV file. But I only have the sample file of the Nordstage, which I can download to the PC with the sound manager.
Is there a solution for this? For example with the Nord Sample Editor?
Thanks for help!

:keyboard:
Last edited by uro-frank on 11 Sep 2020, 17:02, edited 2 times in total.
Nordstage 2 EX 88 with Doepfer D3M MIDI-waterfall-keyboard as organ-manual.
2x QSC K8.2 amplification
uro-frank

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Question about a existing sample on NS2EX88

Sponsor

Re: Question about a existing sample on NS2EX88

Postby alex78 » 11 Sep 2020, 17:32

Unfortunatelly the existing sample files (.nsmp) can not be edited with the sample editor, you need the original wav file and the nord sample project (.nwiproj) that was used to generate the specific sample. Those are not available for original samples provided by clavia.
Is it possible to reprogram this to only play a different key but not a different speed?

Even if you had access to all the above I don't think something like that would be possible. If you make a pitched sample each key plays the same sound in different pitch so the original source is stretched when you change a key. If you create an unpitched sample then all the keys you have assigned the sound to, will all play the same note of the original wav file (that's handy for sound effects).
I'm not sure about the new sample editor, but the old one I use can not change pitch preserving speed at the same time.
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby uro-frank » 11 Sep 2020, 18:09

Hmmm, that sounds bad...
Do you think it would be possible to do a record of the loop as WAV file for example on G with my Cubase through the mixer-USB-port and then create a new sample with the sample editor out of this WAV file?

I have the "old" version also. Will update the next days and see, if something new is in this version... Didn't know, that there is a new version online...
uro-frank

Postby alex78 » 11 Sep 2020, 19:04

You can certainly record the loop, save as wav and create new sample with the editor but...you will probably have the same problem unless you find a way to edit the wav file with another software so that you can change the pitch without altering time. Then you could create multiple copies with different pitch and load them in sample editor as individual samples, assign them to the corresponding keys and then export nsmp. Haven't tried something similar and can not guarrantee success but maybe it's worth trying.
alex78
Patch Creator

Postby DJKeys » 11 Sep 2020, 20:56

It might be easier to just create a sample which has each chord you need and assign it to different keys on the Stage-

-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 11 Sep 2020, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby alex78 » 11 Sep 2020, 22:13

It might be easier to just create a sample which has each chord you need and assign it to different keys on the Stage

That is very practical, I've done it for my E4 but have taken it one step further: I recorded the chord with a pad sound and mixed it with a single note synth bass. So by pressing just one key I have a sound that would normally need two hands and two keyboards to be played! The rest of my left hand fingers and my right hand are free to play other stuff!
alex78
Patch Creator

Postby uro-frank » 12 Sep 2020, 12:15

For better understanding I add a recorded mp3. The first 12 bar round is the sample pure startet with the G key as a loop. In the second round I play an improvisation with the upper split keyboard and the sample goes on...

When changing the lower split keyboard key from G to for example A the sample plays in A and faster (forget my improvisation, that was just a record some days before, just for fun, but I could do a new one without this, with the sample pure).

So how could I get this 12 bar blues sheme sample to another key without changing velocity. After thinking about this perhaps the only way would be to record the loop with for example Cubase, create a sample from this WAV and assign this sample to one key of the lower split keyboard section. Then transpose the WAV to for example A with Cubase without changing velocity (this is no problem with Cubase) and create another sample with the tuned version and assign it to another key of the nordstage. Do you think, that would be a solution? Is it possible to assign different samples to different keys? And if not, I could create a program with sample in G and another program with sample in A and so on. This MUST be possible.

By the way... is there another way to start/stop the sample as a loop, WITHOUT using one key of the split keyboard points, so that I can use the whole keyboard for the improvisation and the sample loop goes on? Hmmm o.k., I could play it as mp3 with the mixer and must not program it as a sample for this :lol:
Attachments
Blues.mp3
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 421 times
Last edited by uro-frank on 12 Sep 2020, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
uro-frank

Postby alex78 » 12 Sep 2020, 22:49

Is it possible to assign different samples to different keys?

Yes it is, you can load as many samples as you want in sample editor and assign them to different keys. You can also assign different parts of the same sample to different keys if you wish. In the first tab of the software (Audiofile/assign) you use the section labeled "multi sample per file assign". So the thing you want to do with cubase will probably do the job. I would also recomend you to download the sample editor manual from Nord website and study it carefully inorder to understand exactly how it works.
alex78
Patch Creator

Return to Nord User Samples (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4 files)