Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Electro 6 Midi related question

Postby jet1968 » 06 Sep 2020, 12:29

I'm using a Tech 21 midi mouse to 'hands free' step back and forth through the programmes on my E6 and that works fine. However, just added a Roland JV1080 to my setup for the extra sounds, layering etc and I'd like the Roland to step through presets in sync with the Nord. The Roland patches go up/down when I step through the Nord by pressing the programme buttons but the midi mouse only affects the Nord so I'm guessing it won't pass that midi data through to the Roland. Wondering if a midi merge box (2 midi ins to 2 outs) would do the trick ? (my midi knowledge is limited!)

Current Midi signal chain (midi mouse only has an out)
midi Mouse midi out > Nord E6 midi in > E6 midi out > Roland JV1080

Thanks
jet1968

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Electro 6 Midi related question

Sponsor

Re: Electro 6 Midi related question

Postby anotherscott » 06 Sep 2020, 16:29

jet1968 wrote:the midi mouse only affects the Nord so I'm guessing it won't pass that midi data through to the Roland.

Correct. MIDI Out does not normally echo what comes in the MIDI In, that's a "Thru" function rather than an "Out" function. Some boards have settings to alter this behavior, but the E6 does not.

jet1968 wrote:Wondering if a midi merge box (2 midi ins to 2 outs) would do the trick ?

A straight MIDI Merge box merges 2 midi ins to ONE out. But in fact, you're looking looking to do the opposite anyway... you don't want to merge multiple MIDI streams into one, you want to split one MIDI stream into two (going out of the MIDI Mouse into two devices, the Nord and the Roland). So this wouln't require a MIDI Merge box but rather a MIDI Thru box (a MIDI splitter rather than a MIDI merger),

But the best news is, you don't have to buy anything. Your Roland JV1080 has a MIDI Thru (your splitter function) built right into it. So instead of

midi Mouse midi out > Nord E6 midi in > E6 midi out > Roland JV1080

you want

midi Mouse midi out > Roland JV1080 midi in
+
Roland JV1080 midi thru > Nord E6 midi in
anotherscott

Postby jet1968 » 06 Sep 2020, 16:48

Thanks for the reply, just not sure this will achieve my aim as I'm using the Nord to control the JV module (keys, pedals etc) Putting the Nord at the end of the chain won't allow me to do that will it ?

(sorry, should have been clearer, the JV is a module, not a keyboard)
Last edited by jet1968 on 06 Sep 2020, 16:52, edited 2 times in total.
jet1968

Postby anotherscott » 06 Sep 2020, 23:30

Oh, yes, you need your MIDI Mouse *and* your Nord to both send MIDI to the Roland, sorry I missed that. Here's how to do it:

MIDI MOUSE OUT will need to go to a MIDI THRU box (splitter). That will give you two MIDI OUTs:

...MIDI OUT #1 goes to NORD MIDI IN (to change patches on the Nord)
...MIDI OUT #2 goes to a MIDI MERGE BOX (2-in, 1-out)

NORD MIDI OUT goes into the other input of that same MIDI MERGE box.

MIDI OUT of the MIDI MERGE box (which has now combined the MIDI OUT of your MIDI MOUSE with the MIDI OUT of your NORD) will go to the MIDI IN of the Roland.

Alternatively, there may be ways to do this with single boxes that have multiple MIDI INs and OUTS and various ways to route them, aka a MIDI PATCHBAY but those are not so common these days.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
jet1968
anotherscott

Postby jet1968 » 07 Sep 2020, 00:45

Many thanks for the explanation, I’m glad it can be achieved....just need to source the extra hardware now :thanks:
Last edited by jet1968 on 07 Sep 2020, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.
jet1968

Return to Nord Electro Forum