Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Layering or Splitting 2 programs in same

Postby maxpiano » 02 Sep 2020, 14:22

dragot wrote:I completely agree with you. In the purest mode having a real sax player would be great! In the reality mode, not financially prudent. Thanks for the midi suggestion and the obvious suggestion to play leads on a SECOND keyboard. He just didn't want to bring another keyboard to the gig. He plays rhythm guitar too! You'll laugh at this one. In our programming sessions, we came to the song "Brown Sugar". (I probably should tell you that this is a 60s 70s tribute band, so we try to come close the original tune) Well, Brown Sugar has the sax lead... I sprung to my feet and grabbed a Kazoo and played the lead. They all laughed but said, that would be a cool thing to do live. And it sounded pretty damn close to the original. I know that most band just substitute a guitar lead. But like I said, we like doing the original versions of the songs.

yes, yes and... yes!! :thumbup: :clap:

Do that, replace and reinvent rather than try to imitate 100% the original and you will open a world of creativity. I used to play in a R&B/Soul band some years ago, no horns section just the usual drum/bass/guitar/keys/voices and in most pieces which had horns sounds I replaced the with.. something else (a distorted Hammond, a Wah Clavinet, a Synth lead, having part played by the guitar... whatever worked fine to all the band) and so the song sounded better and also "original" (but in a different sense) while still keeping its key elements that make it recognizable. ;-)
Last edited by maxpiano on 02 Sep 2020, 14:26, edited 4 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby alex78 » 02 Sep 2020, 14:27

Who said you can not do a split? Using the sample editor you can load as many wav files you wish, map them wherever you want and generate a single nsmp file. Just record a few notes of your strings and a few of your sax with a silent gap between them, save it as a wav and then load it on NSE. Select each note seperately and assign it manually to the key you wish (you will do it in the "multi sample" section of the software). Once you have assigned all the notes to the right key, set the key range for each note and fixed the loops, you generate the nsmp file and you are ready. I usually record the sounds raw and add the effects when I have already loaded the sample on the nord.
Good luck!
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby maxpiano » 02 Sep 2020, 14:30

alex78 wrote:Who said you can not do a split? Using the sample editor you can load as many wav files you wish, map them wherever you want and generate a single nsmp file. Just record a few notes of your strings and a few of your sax with a silent gap between them, save it as a wav and then load it on NSE. Select each note seperately and assign it manually to the key you wish (you will do it in the "multi sample" section of the software). Once you have assigned all the notes to the right key, set the key range for each note and fixed the loops, you generate the nsmp file and you are ready. I usually record the sounds raw and add the effects when I have already loaded the sample on the nord.
Good luck!

Well the original post was talking about 2 pianos (Section) or 2 organs (Section) ... , so not exactly what this well known workaround would achieve + no flexibility of split point (need to make 1 .nsmp for every combination required... quite annoying and not same as having distinct sections, better get a Stage in that case) :-)
Last edited by maxpiano on 02 Sep 2020, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby alex78 » 02 Sep 2020, 14:37

this way I managed to create a sample for the "final countdown" including everything except the brass and the intro portamento synth sount (I play those on my wave) I have even assigned a pad chord layered with a synth bass single note all in one key! plus the intro effects, plus the ohhh pad, plus the pad without the bass...all spread across 73 keys of a keyboard with no layers and splits! works fine.
Last edited by alex78 on 02 Sep 2020, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
alex78
Patch Creator

Postby alex78 » 02 Sep 2020, 14:42

Well the original post was talking about 2 pianos (Section) or 2 organs (Section) ... , so not exactly what this well known workaround would achieve + no flexibility of split point (need to make 1 .nsmp for every combination required... quite annoying and not same as having distinct sections, better get a Stage in that case)
the stage would be ideal for this kind of arrangement but I guess the OP is not going for a keyboard upgrade, just looking for a workaround. What I suggest works for 2 samples, when it comes to pianos then the one must be resampled. That means loss of expression unfortunatelly....For the organs I'm not sure, but I thing you can split 2 of them on the E5, correct me if I'm wrong.
alex78
Patch Creator

Postby Arjan P » 02 Sep 2020, 16:29

dragot wrote:Well, Brown Sugar has the sax lead... I sprung to my feet and grabbed a Kazoo and played the lead. They all laughed but said, that would be a cool thing to do live. And it sounded pretty damn close to the original.

This is funny cause I did the same thing with the same song! I'm also lead singer and did (and sometimes still do) some sax-solos this way. I found that - when done right - it's a great way to surprise the audience: people looking first where the sound comes from, realizing it's the singer and then laughing how the sound comes about. Then if you do it right and it's in your vocal range, it actually can sound quite good indeed. Added bonus: no real sax player needed 8-)
Arjan P

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum