This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: External presets?

Postby AndyG1955 » 16 Aug 2020, 13:14

When you play, do you use it in a studio environment or carry it to performances? What amplification do you use for each environment? What sounds at the moment are closest to your ideal? Do you play all styles, or in performance you have a particular thing you get booked for? Lastly for now, which model of Nord is it? Regards Andy G
AndyG1955

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Sponsor

Postby sussko » 17 Aug 2020, 01:04

alex78 wrote:By the way, here is a link to nord's hidden sample library archive. It is not accessible through the official page for some reason, but there are many nice synth samples in there. See the column on the left. You will need alot of time to load and check everything but I'm sure you will find interesting sounds.
https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-sample-library-archive/arp-odyssey

oh my god, thank you so much for this! This is indeed a very secret synth library!
sussko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Postby AndyG1955 » 17 Aug 2020, 02:53

It will take you a long time but trawl through and see if there is anything you can use. My opinion is that they certainly may lend a flavour of those instruments, but I wouldn’t use most of them live with my Electro 5HP, they don’t sound fat enough as a primary source. I think the strengths of Nord lie in pianos, the electric pianos! Many love the acoustic pianos too and buy Nord specifically for that. So as I use mine primarily for piano and I have discovered few nice string samples I can overlay on a volume control, It sounds pretty cool with the analog samples, quite retro in a good way. If you can get to grips with the organ the Nord is very much liked for that too - it is fat and controllable in performance with the drawbars. The sample player I’m sorry to say in my experience is not as powerful sounding. I have yet to try creating my own samples. But as I already own lots of decent synths and modules which I can rely on I have not poured loads of time into that route yet. If you want a Nord to do synths you need the products with the synth engine.
AndyG1955

Postby sussko » 17 Aug 2020, 12:03

AndyG1955 wrote:When you play, do you use it in a studio environment or carry it to performances? What amplification do you use for each environment? What sounds at the moment are closest to your ideal? Do you play all styles, or in performance you have a particular thing you get booked for? Lastly for now, which model of Nord is it? Regards Andy G

I use it both for Studio recording and on live gigs. I will be mainly using acoustic grand pianos and electric pianos, but sometimes for certain tunes also clavinets and some synth lead sounds. I do play both classical music and contemporary jazz. I use the NP4.
sussko

Postby sussko » 17 Aug 2020, 12:06

AndyG1955 wrote: I think the strengths of Nord lie in pianos, the electric pianos! Many love the acoustic pianos too and buy Nord specifically for that. So as I use mine primarily for piano and I have discovered few nice string samples I can overlay on a volume control, It sounds pretty cool with the analog samples, quite retro in a good way. If you can get to grips with the organ the Nord is very much liked for that too - it is fat and controllable in performance with the drawbars.

That was exactly my thought! The main reason why I have bought the Nord Piano 4 is simply because of the acoustic grands. They just sound too awesome for me compared to all other stage pianos in the same price range. As I have said above, I use it mainly as a piano / Rhodes and am trying to find the optimal and most authentic sound settings for grands and electric pianos.
Last edited by sussko on 17 Aug 2020, 12:07, edited 2 times in total.
sussko

Postby AndyG1955 » 17 Aug 2020, 14:57

I have two 88 note weighted pianos at home but I didn’t want to lift heavy instruments anymore so I got the Electro 5. As a pianist I knew the waterfall action might be lacking so I got the HP. This people say is not as satisfying and responsive as the Nord’s 88 action such as in your Piano 4 which is great for you as a dedicated pianist. I am also prepared to make compromises on amp sizes although I own a high quality rig with up to 6 EV speakers. For a rehearsal or tiny bar I will quite happily use a Roland Cube 40, it amplifies the Rhodes sounds really well but cannot do justice to the acoustic pianos, so I don’t use them. Because I favour the Joe Sample / 70’s Herbie sound I am totally fine with the sound and vibe. Even when I use my stereo rig I still mainly use the Rhodes – I think it’s cool and musically responsive.

For you with the Nord Piano 4 you have got a great 88 keybed which is suited to classical/jazz and acoustic piano in general. On Andertons TV a pianist is reviewing blindfold a Nord set to the A - Royal Grand 3D then – B Keyscape Acoustic then C –Ravel Grand . The reviewer prefers the Nord 3D

https://youtu.be/lmGmn11cbLs

So for you sussko I would concentrate on playing on your favourite acoustic piano at first with no EQ. I have found each one reacts to the keybed differently! So for me it is not just the sound. I like the White Grand, the way it responds and have just that loaded in XL size. For you amplification is the next most important step, if you are not playing too loud the QSC 8 are good. One venue I work has a house system with QSC10, QSC12 and bass bins. I prefer the 10 - clear and loud. If I was moving from gig to gig in town centres the weight would be important. I might get the 8’s, apparently they are still loud.

Now to synths. If you are using an 88 the synths won’t feel that great and – in my humble opinion – the synth library is interesting as a palette but not the real deal. I would load your Nord with the best strings and pads to overlay with piano. Then get a decent synth not even too expensive eg Krome 61, Yamaha MODX 61 the sounds will be better and the waterfall action suited for purpose. I would be interested in Behringer analog products, but most don’t have patch memory – not immediate enough for live .

Hope that helps?
Best Wishes, Andy G

The author AndyG1955 was thanked by:
Berretje
AndyG1955

Postby lawman » 22 Aug 2020, 23:53

Further to ericL's post regarding the sc-sounds.com website. In addition to the sample collections for sale there, there is also a goodly number of free sounds available. They can be found under Downloads.The purchase prices of the non-free collections, found in the Products section under Clavia Nord, are in € but PayPal converts them into $ upon purchase. All of the samples I have looked at are in the unsupported .nsmp format but the Nord Sound Manager can easily convert them to the supported .nsmp3 format. The website describes the sounds as being compatible with a bunch of different Nord instruments, but the Nord Grand is not listed as one of them. However, the company confirmed by email that their samples are also compatible with NG, and I have loaded a few with no problems.
Last edited by lawman on 23 Aug 2020, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
lawman

Postby alex78 » 23 Aug 2020, 15:02

All the nsmp samples can be loaded on the newer instruments, if it is not indicated on the website that means that maybe the page has not been updated. The opposite is impossible, nsmp3 on older nord models.
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum