All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Using Nord Piano Monitor with other instruments

Postby davidbjames » 21 Aug 2020, 14:27

Hello all,

I am considering purchasing a Nord Piano 4 and the Nord Piano Monitor set. At the same time my wife is going to purchase an electric violin. My question is can she plug her violin into the monitor as an amplifier for her violin. (I guess the second question is can we have both the piano and the violin plugged in at the same time.) As far as the electrical stuff goes some electric violins we have looked at have a chord with small plugs on each end, and some have a small plug on one end and a larger on the other, and some have large plugs on both ends. I believe these sizes are 3.5 mm and 6.3 mm?

Thank you in advance!
- David (hopeful Nord user!)
davidbjames

Using Nord Piano Monitor with other instruments

Sponsor

Re: Using Nord Piano Monitor with other instruments

Postby Tasten-Bert » 21 Aug 2020, 15:10

Hello David

and a very warm welcome to this wonderful forum of nord enthusiasts. As far as your question is concerned one could say yes, it‘s possible, but only in mono in the sense of piano on one channel and violin on the other.

With just a small mixer - see for example here:
https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/PA/ ... -PAMIXANAL - in between your signal chain you would be able to have stereo for each instrument plus the advantage of individually adjustable volume levels.

Have fun and stay healthy everybody. Sunny regards from Germany
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby davidbjames » 21 Aug 2020, 15:30

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Sounds like a mixer would be perfect for stereo sound if we played together. On the other hand, if she just wanted to play her violin with mono (on one or both speakers) could she just plug in the violin into the "Aux In" jack in the monitor? https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/def ... ksidor.jpg
davidbjames

Postby maxpiano » 21 Aug 2020, 15:34

davidbjames wrote:Thanks so much for the quick reply. Sounds like a mixer would be perfect for stereo sound if we played together. On the other hand, if she just wanted to play her violin with mono (on one or both speakers) could she just plug in the violin into the "Aux In" jack in the monitor? https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/def ... ksidor.jpg

It depends on the type of output that the specific violin provides i.e. if it is Line level or Instrument (pickup/Hi-z) level; it would be good to know the exact model of the violin and check that first of all.

The Aux In on the Nord Monitors is for a stereo Line level signal (e.g. computer/smartphone/mp3 player or even keyboards) over a stereo 3.5 minijack.

The best solution is still to use the mixer, even a simple/cheap one like a Behringer 502, regardless you two are playing together or just individually. If she wants to play "mono" she will just panpot the violin channel to the center.
Last edited by maxpiano on 21 Aug 2020, 15:40, edited 6 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby baekgaard » 21 Aug 2020, 18:24

You can play both (in stereo) if you use the aux input in addition to the normal line in. The aux has a volume control and you can use the volume on the North to control it's own output. That easy you can regulate the balance between the two and the overall loudness.

Both signals are line input, so how well it works depends on whether the output of the violin is the at the same level or at microphone level.

I assume the violin is mono out? You would need a special cable then for this, so the idea of getting a small mixer is probably your best choice, and it gives you more freedom also to EQ the signal i bit.

Sent from my phone in brevity
Last edited by baekgaard on 21 Aug 2020, 21:07, edited 2 times in total.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby davidbjames » 21 Aug 2020, 20:53

Looks like I have a lot to learn! and I'm going to enjoy being on this forum. :) Thank you all for the advice. (I will keep you posted on what we decide.)
davidbjames

Return to Accessories and Amplification