4-way Velocity Splits

Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer
tsss27
Patch Creator

4-way Velocity Splits

Post by tsss27 »

Does anyone have any audio examples of patches, either preset or custom, that use all 4 layers with samples crossfaded by velocity? I know this is actually possible but I am curious to hear how well it works in practice with 4 layers, because it seems it would be difficult to dial them all in. Most seem to only crossfade 2 layers, if any.
hector space
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Re: 4-way Velocity Splits

Post by hector space »

Good question :thumbup:
DJKeys
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Post by DJKeys »

I have experimented with this and can confirm that you can use the velocity splits, and that they are granular enough to have four of them. If your desire is to have four samples of the same instrument at differing volumes, you would need to very carefully prepare four samples in advance, and the transitions between them really would not compete with a multi-sampled instrument. Plus, four samples is really not that many for a true multi-instrument in my opinion. There are no presets I have found that use this feature, most of the layer morphs are programmed with the mod wheel.

What is it you would want to accomplish using this feature?

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
tsss27
Patch Creator

Post by tsss27 »

As you say, my desire is to have 4 samples of the same instrument, say a 4 layer piano, marimba, whatever. In this way, the Wave2 could double as a basic ROMpler for times when things need to be compact. Since many workstations from even a decade ago had only 4 velocity layers, I think it could provide for some expressive sounds given that you can still affect all the filter frequencies with the Nord among other things.

Essentially it is a way to use custom multisampled instruments on the Nord, since we cannot create piano ones (and the Wave doesn't use those anyway.)
DJKeys
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Post by DJKeys »

I am not sure the transitions from layer to layer would be smooth enough to accomplish that. Plus, you would eat up a lot of the sample memory trying to multisample a Piano, for example.

Not sure the effort involved would justify the result. Do you own the instrument? If so, try creating a few multisamples and let us know how it works.

If not, I suggest the NW2 would not be a wise choice if this single feature is very important to you-

-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 19 Aug 2020, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre