All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

QSC CP8 alternative to K8.2

Postby wweiss » 15 Aug 2020, 02:24

I read all 20 + pages of the discussion on the QSC K8.2 cphollis gives great information and seems like the site expert on these speakers.
I am sold on getting a pair for stereo but I've seen nothing on the site about the QSC CP8. Will be playing small venues, with keys and vocals through the speaker.
I don't think I would need more than the 1,000 watts of the CP8 plus a pair would be $500 less!
I like the fact that it is a little lighter. Mainly wondering about the sound differences between the two.
I know the whole QSC line is super clean/crisp on the high end. Is the bass response and midrange much different between the two?
Again the extra headroom 2,000 watts is not a factor unless it noticeably improves the mids and bass.
Last edited by wweiss on 15 Aug 2020, 04:27, edited 3 times in total.
wweiss

QSC CP8 alternative to K8.2

Sponsor

Re: QSC CP8 alternative to K8.2

Postby cphollis » 15 Aug 2020, 14:42

You didn't mention whether you'd be a solo act, or part of a larger electric band. I think the CP8s are fine if you're not competing with others. A bit less authoritative, not quite as dramatic, a tad less crisp, and so on. I'd be happy playing through them in a variety of situations. If you're playing solo or as part of an acoustic-level group, you'll find they do the job well.

If you occasionally play with a louder electric band -- and you're responsible for your own amplification -- you'd appreciate what a pair of K8.2s can do. The CP8s would be fine in that situation, the K8.2s more better.

The 2000 watt thing is a marketing exercise. However, the extra watts are noticeable vs. its 1000 watt K8 predecessor. As far as bass/mid improvement, it's there and manifests itself mostly in better transient handling. Again, if you're not playing loud, it won't matter.

At the risk of repeating myself? Regardless of what you buy, the best way to save $$$ is to call around and ask for demos, b-stock, etc. DJ supply houses seem especially willing to deal.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
CountFosco
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Re: QSC CP8 alternative to K8.2

Postby Ledbetter » 15 Aug 2020, 22:06

I bought a pair of gently used K8.2’s for $950 on the marketplace of another forum. Use common sense when buying used, as always. Music dealers are highly motivated right now to make you an “open box” deal.
Nord Stage 3, Electro 5D, 4D, Lead 2x, Moog Voyager, Little and Slim Phatties, Kawai KG-2C 6 foot grand,
Ledbetter
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Return to Accessories and Amplification