This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

White Grand vs Royal Grand 3D

Postby sussko » 02 Aug 2020, 15:13

I do mostly play jazz on my recently bought NP4 and after a long research I ended up with the White and the Grand 3D as my main piano samples. When I play jazz, it really does'nt matter which one I use since both sound very similar. But when it comes to classical music, I think many differences become quite noticeable. To me, the Royal Grand generally has a more gentle and clean sound while the White has a wider dynamic range and more "tone character". Now I become very picky every time I pick a classical piece since I can never decide which one to choose, sometimes one sounds better than the other for specific pieces but sometimes I just don't know. What are your opinions about this?
Last edited by sussko on 02 Aug 2020, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
sussko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

White Grand vs Royal Grand 3D

Sponsor

Re: White Grand vs Royal Grand 3D

Postby Gambold » 02 Aug 2020, 19:35

As with every new grand piano, the Royal Gimmick 3D got a lot of high press when it came out, but it has since faded as we all came to realize that the oldies are still the goodies. For classical, the Grand Lady D is still the one to beat.
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
Gambold

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby tsss27 » 06 Aug 2020, 23:57

I prefer the White Grand in general, but I'm not playing classical. Royal 3D is very nice as well. I don't even bother with the small old pianos except some of the specialty ones.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Postby lawman » 07 Aug 2020, 09:04

With all due respect, and hoping this doesn't sound too pompous, it seems like you might be overthinking this a bit. You don't have to decide right now "Which sample is best for XXX?" and "Which sample is best for YYY?" "Best" will mean different things to different people, at different times, and you will gravitate to your own. Play what you like most, but do continue to experiment and have fun with a wide selection of sounds. Picking and choosing, rearranging your "Favorites" list, changing your mind, and then changing it back again is a fun process which may never end. After all, none of this will be on our permanent record.

The author lawman was thanked by 3 members, including:
PScooter63maxpianoSchorsch
lawman

Postby fieldflower » 07 Aug 2020, 11:46

^^^^^^
This!

It's good to change opinion now and then - it brings new nuances to known music.
Test everything, fall in love with some of them, change your mind later, change back, etc.
Change is good!
Last edited by fieldflower on 07 Aug 2020, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby maxpiano » 07 Aug 2020, 13:34

lawman wrote:With all due respect, and hoping this doesn't sound too pompous, it seems like you might be overthinking this a bit. You don't have to decide right now "Which sample is best for XXX?" and "Which sample is best for YYY?" "Best" will mean different things to different people, at different times, and you will gravitate to your own. Play what you like most, but do continue to experiment and have fun with a wide selection of sounds. Picking and choosing, rearranging your "Favorites" list, changing your mind, and then changing it back again is a fun process which may never end. After all, none of this will be on our permanent record.

+1 (and thanks)
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to General Nord Forum