General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Best expression pedal for NS2

Postby Dobby » 01 Aug 2020, 23:21

Thanks so much for your input Tasten-Bert. I believe I saw a demo where the korg clamps together underneath to each other, locking two korgs together in a solid pack. It looked sturdy, two clamped so easily together like that. I hope I am right it was the korg ... I saw it, one of these pedals did this ... and I liked it.

Here's was my plan: I want two korgs clamped together.

However, I am budgeting for qsc k8.2's, a pair, and since this is my first expression pedal, I like the very inexpensive Moog EP-3, which has the features I wanted, for now. Cheaper to play around and even see if I want two. Later, after the k8.2's I will get bulked up on my expression pedals. This one, has training wheels, and I want the money to get me to the k8.2's sooner. That, as we both mentioned, is the unique subjective set of requirements I am really happy with ... as I implied, for me ... which will be my intro to expression pedals for now. Later, two korgs, locked together, no more pedals to the moon, lol.

I went out and picked up a Moog EP-3

Please DJKeys, there is no Moog driver in the stage 3. Could you give some simple guidance as to how you set yours up? It's actually not working very intuitively at the moment. Your settings would help me, if you'de be so kind to share them with me, for the Moog EP-3.

This, was the solution for a first pedal that worked for me DJKeys, thanks. Have it in my hands right now. Settings suggestions would be wonderful, with no driver in the stage 3 for a moog.

Thanks for the guidance, everyone.
Last edited by Dobby on 01 Aug 2020, 23:25, edited 7 times in total.
Dobby

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby Dobby » 02 Aug 2020, 00:06

Chuckle story.

My trs cable that came with it was bad. Took a bit for a first timer who had no idea how an expression pedal ought to work to figure that one out. I read it here, with a search, and swapped out my trs with my program pedal trs, and ... 0 - 100 % ... instead of this irrational behavior it was producing with a bad trs cable. Ha, silly me ... I actually was trying to sort out the strange logarithmic scale it might have been using. I'm serious, I had no reference point. I thought I was confused, not the trs cable. What's a first time expression pedal user to think? I've never even tried one before you know. I'll say it. Expression pedal?

I swapped the trs, all is well, 0 - 100 % sweep instead of math mayhem. I am happy. Don't seem to even need those settings anymore.

What was a first timer to think?

Search the Nord forum. That's what a newcomer is to think. The answer, abides there. What a great resource. TRS, back to the store tomorrow. ;)
Dobby

Postby Dobby » 02 Aug 2020, 00:39

You know, sorry to ramble on, but unplugging that trs was harsh on the connector. Really harsh. I had to fiddle. While I swapped the cables around testing them, I got the reversed orientation of my cable ends reversed a certain way, (so what), and that same trs end was then difficult in the other jack in the same way, the organ swell jack.

My purchased trs for my boss program pedal? No way does it behave like that. I won't be swapping this trs, I'm getting a better one.

I hope that was helpful to share. Otherwise, to me, it's solved and moving on. Happy. These pedal are cooool !!

Morph drive onto rhodes? Come on ... Nothin' but happy! Be careful with your Nords pedal jacks though. Nice cables. :keyboard2:
Last edited by Dobby on 02 Aug 2020, 18:14, edited 2 times in total.
Dobby

Postby Dobby » 02 Aug 2020, 01:23

Ok.

I will ramble on nw, openly. This cable issue in my two week old $5,000 + machine ... has now wrecked the motherboard. The layer detune lights are dimly lit now, constantly. Even in a dark empty program. Warbling, horrifyingly.

My keys wrecked. My worst nightmare, was to have to have this serviced by a local anytime soon. Anytime ... soon. Two weeks old.

Crushed right now. Going away to contemplate. What do I even do.

This, is unacceptable. Service? Here? Two weeks in. Not even ok with this. It's quite a ways from the jacks where the fault warbles away on the layer detune lights now.

Wow. Whose got a sample sound for this moment? Price is right loser noise? Ba ba ba dum.

Seriously. Rant over. One stage three, not pristine, ever again. Two weeks old.

... ...

Edited to add: I'll be openly emotional with you right now. It's ruined to me. My local store? Those boys? Local 'scenes' ... big box store politics?

This ruins my personal stradivarius to me. This was, with my care, never to need servicing down at the local swap shop. Ever..

Two weeks in. Ok, People are dying of the pandemic. I'll stop crying now. Wow.
Last edited by Dobby on 02 Aug 2020, 18:19, edited 5 times in total.
Dobby

Postby Dobby » 02 Aug 2020, 01:41

Since Nord doesn't swap boards, and I'm not doing those local jerks down at our meatmarket, unfortunately my only rational business choice here, under thirty days (key point) is to get my money back. I'll be back another day peeps. I'll turn around and buy another baord ... soon.

No need to respond. It's just the only way I see to protect myself here. 30 days ... money back. The law here. I will be back though ... the dude abides.
Dobby

Postby WannitBBBad » 02 Aug 2020, 02:17

Sorry to hear of your problem. Can you take a picture of the bad TRS end you speak of? Have you tried turning off the Stage 3 for a minute or so and then turning it back on?
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby FZiegler » 02 Aug 2020, 08:45

I wouldn't want to be the one who is buying it then - probably not repaired because nobody knows about the problem. Hey, don't talk about things like that as openly! It's disgusting.

BUT: I find it rather unlikely that a plug is mechanically defective and you won't see it. (edit)
Last edited by FZiegler on 02 Aug 2020, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby Tasten-Bert » 02 Aug 2020, 11:44

I once made the experience that the tip of cheap plugs can get loose. It then could jam inside the socket. To avoid this I only buy good cables - here in Germany Cordial or Klotz - and try not to let the plug fall on the floor while cleaning the cables. Good place is the sofa, but don‘t tell my wife please.
You may get the plug out of your board if you open it, and the sockets hopefully are open ones. Just to give you one possible source. Good luck anyway.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Dobby » 02 Aug 2020, 15:44

Last words before I head out today, then I guess I'm not a community member anymore until I see if I'm able to have another Nord someday.

I have the full impression at this point that Nord doesn't make this right when this happens. That, as FZiegler intimated, is why 'someone' gets stuck holding the lemon ferrarri that's been welded back together already. That's the logical end point of where that business model leaves things, it creates that environment, actually. Nord has to assume some moral responsibility for what it's like at the final retail end of the market where we buy these boards. Enough grifting and shifting to uninspire anyone from ... even playing music anymore.

This is a piece of junk to me now. I don't want the rewelded lemon ... not two weeks in. And yes, FZiegler, I can't carry the weight of whether or not this will be passed of again some some poor unsuspecting shmuck. A shmuck like me. And boy do I feel like a shmuck right now. Just, done in. That's what the business model creates, because ... no board can be returned to Nord. So, somebody gets it. Harsh world that creates.

So, to me, by policy, Nord has no intention of making this right. And is Moog even a real company? (Rhetorical question, I really don't care.)

A dystopian horror moment: In Kkurzweilian Dr. Who like science fiction horror ... Moog send out legion of killer bot patch cables in their product to eat Nord keyboards dead through a simple insertion and removal of expression pedal cord. Playing in theaters today, if you can stomach it.

Goodbye peeps, I hope I can get another Nord someday. I got a pretty good sale price on this one, so I'm quite a ways away from having one again. See, this is not going to be made right. And I'm good with gear. I don't want the welded together lemon. It's a sad day for me. Punted out of Nord land. That board was really working for me. Did you hear that sax patch I cam up with? And we even hacked into my SY-77 with it. So fun.

30 years with my sy-77. It has open, unsecured (physically) 1/4 inch jacks. A whole bunch of them. Open, to the motherboard. People always complained. Some put glue around the open. 30 years, on the road even ... never a problem. I am good with gear. I didn't wreck this board.

I hope I can return someday. Enjoy that sax patch for me. Done. Ruined.
Last edited by Dobby on 02 Aug 2020, 21:56, edited 3 times in total.
Dobby

Postby Schorsch » 02 Aug 2020, 21:38

Hi Dobby, I fully understand your frustration although it seems not to be clear what real caused the problem, or may be I just didn’t got it. However, I wonder if it’s really true that Nord does not take boards back which get problems during the warranty period. I also don’t know the legal situation in your country, here in Germany the dealer has the obligation to take care of either repairing or changing a faulty instrument during the warranty period, and they manage the exchange with the manufacturer separately (in the background) then. Are you sure that Nord is generally not taking back defective instruments while still under warranty, or is it your dealer telling you this?
Last edited by Schorsch on 02 Aug 2020, 21:43, edited 2 times in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..

The author Schorsch was thanked by:
Dobby
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum