This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Should I upgrade from my Nord Classic

Postby jayxp » 30 Jul 2020, 19:32

jeffkeys wrote:I have my Classic in addition to the 3. I started using the Classic again in the house and leave the 3 set to go for gigs. I uploaded the L version of the Amber Upright as now my only acoustic piano in the Classic, and it wonderful, and piped the organ through a Vent, and it too is wonderful. I had room for one ep, chose the large Nefertiti sample, which is excellent. I miss the clav and the samples, but if they’re not your staples, it such a playable instrument, and you can upload the clav as needed. It’s all about how much you need the majorly upgraded synth and samples.

Thanks for this. I was hoping someone who had (or has) both would chime in as well with thoughts. I am going to load up those two sounds and try them.

One thing I did realize when upgrading the OS on my Stage and resetting the factory sounds/patches -- Windows 10 does not work (even with the Windows drivers on Nord's site) for the Sound Manager or the OS upgrade. So, I had to pull out my 2011 iMac from the closet to get this to happen. It makes it a pain to change sounds frequently, unless I re-do the room where I can set up the old Mac more permanently. I was just about to donate this Mac as it can't even load the latest version of Mac OS. (My other computers are Windows 10 and Linux currently.)
jayxp

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Sponsor

Postby Bjosko » 31 Jul 2020, 19:20

And you got the latest Sound manager as well?
https://www.nordkeyboards.com/software- ... nd-manager
/Bjørn
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby jayxp » 31 Jul 2020, 21:42

Bjosko wrote:And you got the latest Sound manager as well?
https://www.nordkeyboards.com/software- ... nd-manager

Yes.
jayxp

Postby WannitBBBad » 03 Aug 2020, 04:56

The next step for Nord will likely be a Stage 3 EX with expanded memory and perhaps some minor tweaks, but in my opinion not worth waiting for except for the possibility that older models may drop in price a little further. For playing at home, besides going the software route, another option would be to go with a Stage 2 or Stage 2EX, as the additional piano memory, new synth engine, and ability for the synth to use samples, add a lot of flexibility without as big of chunk out of your wallet as a Stage 3. Take care.
Nord Stage 3 / SC Prophet T8 / Hammond B3 w 122 Leslie / Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX,2 / SC Prophet 5 / SC Prophet 10 / Yamaha DX7IIFD w E! / Yamaha EX5 / Minimoog / Yamaha CP60 / D6 Clavinet / Fender Rhodes / Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by:
jayxp
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby jayxp » 04 Aug 2020, 16:51

WannitBBBad wrote:... another option would be to go with a Stage 2 or Stage 2EX, as the additional piano memory, new synth engine, and ability for the synth to use samples, add a lot of flexibility without as big of chunk out of your wallet as a Stage 3. Take care.

Very good point on the pre-owned Stage 2/EX option. Thanks for your thoughts.
jayxp

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum