Share your complete Nord Stage 3 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.

Pink Floyd Tenor Sax

Postby Dobby » 28 Jul 2020, 22:42

The forum has helped me, so here's my stage 3 Floyd Tenor Sax. Just the original tenor sample from Nord, and then I used the effects, remembering what a sax player I toured with used to tell the sound guys about how he wanted his sound set up.

Some doubling delay, quick and with low delay threshold so just one note gets repeated (like a vocal doubling effect.)
Some reverb.
Some chorus. (I also added in a tremolo setting too.)
I used the mid parametric eq sweep to scoop OUT a very 'synthy' frequency that needed to go.
Finally, compression, set to 8. Lot's, in other words ... so the airy tones are up there with the screech timbre. On a big rock stage, it's those timbres you want, all of them, soft and hard, without dropping out or ripping ears. So ... compressed.

All effects, just the original stage 3 tenor sample. It's Pinkish, I thinkish. Cheers everyone, enjoy.

Us Horn.ns3f
(592 Bytes) Downloaded 457 times
Attachments
Us&ThemTenorSax.mp3
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 1295 times
Last edited by Dobby on 28 Jul 2020, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

The author Dobby was thanked by 6 members, including:
florenceDanielD71braneWannitBBBadStink_Finger_UKSchorsch
Dobby

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Pink Floyd Tenor Sax

Sponsor

Re: Pink Floyd Tenor Sax

Postby Schorsch » 28 Jul 2020, 22:53

That sounds great man!
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..

The author Schorsch was thanked by:
Dobby
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby cphollis » 28 Jul 2020, 23:47

That's a very useful sound -- not just for Pink Floyd!
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
Dobby
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Dobby » 28 Jul 2020, 23:51

Just remember, when sax players bend, they bite down on their reed and it bends ... up. They will create an illusion of bending down when they release that bite down on the reed, and relax back down to the note they actually played. However, unlike guitar riffs, a sax actually doesn't ever bend down, always up. Remember that with your pitch bend technique, and it goes a long way to adding authenticity. Don't bend down, and you're all good. Only up. A real sax can't bend down, except to return to the note it bent up from. Subconsciously, people will notice this and it helps to make the sound do it's magic.

Ya, I'm actually quite happy with this sax patch, which are notorious for not sounding very authentic on most synths. This one, I can live with I think.
Last edited by Dobby on 29 Jul 2020, 00:58, edited 2 times in total.
Dobby

Postby Dobby » 29 Jul 2020, 00:09

I'll add that the patch is bigger than you may need it to be. The sax is all alone on panel B and easy to copy out. Panel A has the organ and piano pad, which is where the patch size expands, likely the piano sample. But you can scrap that panel A and just take the sax panel out and use it in your own program.

That organ on panel A has the rotor morphed so if you set the wheel to just below half way you get the slow leslie effect Wright used on Us and Them. There's enough room under where I have the sax split to play the piano part for Us and Them along with your sax soloing. But you can scrap all that and copy panel B to a new program and you'll just have the sax, and I'm sure it will be a smaller patch then. Maybe. Still on the learning curve over here. :)
Last edited by Dobby on 29 Jul 2020, 00:10, edited 2 times in total.
Dobby

Postby WannitBBBad » 30 Jul 2020, 03:19

Very nice - thanks!
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 04 Aug 2020, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by:
Dobby
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Stage 3 Programs (*.ns3p files)