All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Audio interface recommendation

Postby Beginner » 24 Jul 2020, 21:51

Hi, just found this conversation, I have some questions on audio interfaces: I am planning to do some arrangements with my daughter having her seinging ane me playing piano. Very basic question, what makes most sense here , a two channel ionterface switching the Nord to output piano on one channel only (sample synth on the other channel ) and using the second channel for voice recording? Or is it better to go with 4 channels having 2 for the piano and one for the vocal?
Beginner

Sponsor

Postby fieldflower » 24 Jul 2020, 22:31

Beginner wrote:Hi, just found this conversation, I have some questions on audio interfaces: I am planning to do some arrangements with my daughter having her seinging ane me playing piano. Very basic question, what makes most sense here , a two channel ionterface switching the Nord to output piano on one channel only (sample synth on the other channel ) and using the second channel for voice recording? Or is it better to go with 4 channels having 2 for the piano and one for the vocal?

For recording something that You want to sound as good as possible stereo piano sound is of course better, which means a 4 channel interface is the way to go.
If You intend to record "live", i.e. piano and singing at the same time.

If it's only for testing and home use perhaps the stereo piano isn't as important, so then a 2 channel interface.
Or if You intend to record a good recording but will record piano first and then singing after, then again 2 channels is sufficient.

I would definitely not set myself up for having the limitation, since prices of 2 and 4 channel interfaces are quite similar, so I'd go for a 4 channel.

My 5 cents, IMHO, etc...

The author fieldflower was thanked by:
Beginner
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Beginner » 24 Jul 2020, 23:24

Hello Fieldflower, thanks , more or less this was the expected answer and I will look for a four channel interface. One additional question, seems many of the cheaper USB interfaces can only switch on/off phantom power for all channels simultaniusly. Is phantom power an issue for a Nord Keyb/piano when connectiong a line device using tr(s) cables?
Beginner

Postby fieldflower » 25 Jul 2020, 13:37

I don't know what precautions Nord have taken against phantom power (can't find anything in manuals/homepage), but have seen severe warnings in general about putting on phantom power into keyboards.
Probably a good idea to NOT have phantom power on...
Last edited by fieldflower on 25 Jul 2020, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Beginner » 25 Jul 2020, 15:07

Thank you. Would be great if anyone knowes more about this, I am planning to use a large diaphragm mike for the vocal, but if the interface only allows phantom power for all channels this would be a potential issue.
Beginner

Postby JohnT » 25 Jul 2020, 15:25

If I'm not mistaken, some one correct me if I'm wrong, Phantom power is only present on the XLR inputs. therefore, the unbalanced TS input is not affected.

Found this on another forum: "In any respectable design of pre-amp, Phantom Power is only ever applied to the XLR pins 2 and 3 of a combo connector. The TS/TRS jack does not have PP on it, so you are safe to use it for your line input device."
Last edited by JohnT on 25 Jul 2020, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Current rig: Nord Electro SW4, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000, QSC K8.2, QSC K10.2, Yamaha HS80M, Auratones, Mackie 802-VLZ3, Focusrite Saphire Pro 40, MOTU MicroLite, Samsung Servo 120a, Sony MDR 7506 & MDR 7509HD, Sennheiser HD-650

The author JohnT was thanked by 2 members, including:
BeginnerMr_-G-
JohnT

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby Mr_-G- » 25 Jul 2020, 15:30

I also thought that phantom power only goes to the XLRs (otherwise it would cause a short circuit when you plug a TSR connector: the tip touches the ring and sleeve parts of the connector when it goes in). However I am wondering whether there are some irrational designers around. To be safe you should check with a tester if the phantom power also goes to the audio input TS jack.
If it does, can I suggest that you contact Clavia and ask them, they certainly know if feeding 48v into the output will damage something (I guess it might).

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
Beginner
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby JohnT » 25 Jul 2020, 17:10

Also, to be safe, you may want to plug the 1/4"-TS in BEFORE turning on Phantom Power.
Current rig: Nord Electro SW4, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000, QSC K8.2, QSC K10.2, Yamaha HS80M, Auratones, Mackie 802-VLZ3, Focusrite Saphire Pro 40, MOTU MicroLite, Samsung Servo 120a, Sony MDR 7506 & MDR 7509HD, Sennheiser HD-650
JohnT

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby Beginner » 26 Jul 2020, 13:31

JohnT wrote:If I'm not mistaken, some one correct me if I'm wrong, Phantom power is only present on the XLR inputs. therefore, the unbalanced TS input is not affected.

Found this on another forum: "In any respectable design of pre-amp, Phantom Power is only ever applied to the XLR pins 2 and 3 of a combo connector. The TS/TRS jack does not have PP on it, so you are safe to use it for your line input device."

Just checked on a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 and can confirm that there is no phantom power applied on the TS connector. So thanks eceryone ;-)

The author Beginner was thanked by:
Mr_-G-
Beginner

Previous

Return to Accessories and Amplification