Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Using the NP4 partially as a Synth?

Postby sussko » 21 Jul 2020, 15:44

I know that the NP4 is mainly design for a Piano Player, but for certain tunes during a gig I will need some fancy Synth sounds to play with. So far I have just found two Lead presets which I personally quite like. But I have no idea how to craft some nice sounds on my own since I really don't have this experience. Also, there seem to be no options to modify the sound during playing because its lacking of modwheels and pitch bend stick. Is the NP4 partially usable as a Synthesizer on stage for some songs or would you rather recommend to buy a real Synthesizer to use along with the NP4?
sussko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Using the NP4 partially as a Synth?

Sponsor

Re: Using the NP4 partially as a Synth?

Postby Schorsch » 21 Jul 2020, 22:38

Hi Sussko, one question (no offense): did you check what you will get before you bought the Nord Piano 4? According to your wishes in this post and also from what you were asking in some previous posts I would recommend to sell the Nord Piano 4 and buy a Nord Stage 3-88 or a used Nord Stage 2-88
Last edited by Schorsch on 21 Jul 2020, 22:41, edited 3 times in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Tasten-Bert » 24 Jul 2020, 20:15

Hi sussko,

I give it another try. Again here it depends on what style or what songs you play. If it would be a synth pad like in ´Time after time‘ or some other more or less static sounds like the synth in ´Summer of 69‘ a sample based sound in your NP4 could do the job. If you intend to play Joe Zawinul solos or similar tunes it for sure won‘t do it. Then a synthy as your second keyboard would by far be the better road to go, in my opinion.

What are the songs you‘d like to play? Name us some examples for better assistance. Sunny regards from the middle of Germany. Stay healthy everybody.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Projet Xion » 24 Jul 2020, 21:55

I'm concerned too by the possibility to use the NP4 as a synth.

For example, ACCORDIONMAN propose here in the Nord users samples section a great Van Halen "Jump" sample.

If I'm not mistaken, this sample can be load in the NP4.

What will be the rendering ?

Will it be the same on a NP4 and à NS3 for example ?
Last edited by Projet Xion on 24 Jul 2020, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Projet Xion

Postby fieldflower » 24 Jul 2020, 22:07

Projet Xion wrote:I'm concerned too by the possibility to use the NP4 as a synth.

For example, ACCORDIONMAN propose here in the Nord users samples section a great Van Halen "Jump" sample.

If I'm not mistaken, this sample can be load either in the NP4.or a Nord Stage.

What will be the rendering ?

Will it be the same on a NP4 and à NS3 for example ?

The raw sample is exactly the same one, so playing "straight up" will be the same sound.
But the stage has a LOT more adjustment possibilities, plus ability to run waveform synthesis.

The NP4 can absolutely be used to play samples, with attack/decay settings.

But for full synth sounds and adjustments It's the Stage, Wave 2 or Lead models that can do it.
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Projet Xion » 24 Jul 2020, 22:45

OK thank you fieldflower for your explanation.

If the Nord Piano can read sample, I think that functions like attack, decay and release are enough for me.

According to me, this sample reading ability make the NP4 a very versatile instrument.
Last edited by Projet Xion on 24 Jul 2020, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
Projet Xion

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum