Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Re: PCMCIA card for NORD LEAD 1

Postby Mantissa » 15 Jul 2020, 11:07

This PCMCIA card works fine in my Nord Lead 2.

Pretec PCMCIA 256kb 8-bit SRAM Memory Card with Attribute Pn: S65256-8
Mantissa

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Sponsor

Postby jvq__ » 17 Aug 2023, 20:07

Mantissa wrote:This PCMCIA card works fine in my Nord Lead 2.

Pretec PCMCIA 256kb 8-bit SRAM Memory Card with Attribute Pn: S65256-8

That card does not work. I wasted $200 (including shipping) buying that specific part number. Just following up to let other people who find this thread know.

I got a working new old stock SRAM card by searching for "SRAM PC card" on Ebay. I have a Nord Rack 2.

Looking at https://www.synchrotech.com/support/faq-sram-pcmcia-pc_cards.html#Q012 the likely reason the Pretec S65256-8 does not work is because it only supports 8-bit data access. In the past, SRAM PC cards were compatible with both 8-bit and 16-bit access. But the chips that auto-detect 8 vs 16 bit are no longer made. Modern SRAM PC cards support one or the other.

So, if you're going to buy a new SRAM PC card for your Nord, get a 16-bit card. Or, buy an old-enough card that still has the auto-detection chip.

A post earlier in this thread suggested buying a PC card from memorix-elektronik.de. I have been in touch with that company. The owner was very friendly but the cheapest card he could offer me was €200 ex shipping. I ended up buying a new old stock card from Ebay for about €100 including shipping.
jvq__

Previous

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum