General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 3 vs Stage 3 Compact Keybed/Keyboard Action

Postby NordsALot » 07 Jul 2020, 20:28

Can anyone explain any specific differences in the construction of the keybeds between these two models? I know the compact has waterfall style organ keys and the stage 3 has fully weighted piano keys. I notice the compact action has a "springiness" to it that the full stage 3 does not...like the keys are made to pop back up faster and therefore have a higher perceived resistance. If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate you sharing it. Thank you. :yourock:
NordsALot

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Nord Stage 3 vs Stage 3 Compact Keybed/Keyboard Action

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 3 vs Stage 3 Compact Keybed/Keyboard Action

Postby FZiegler » 07 Jul 2020, 20:58

Hi NordsALot,

in fact, there are three models. You might be right to take the Compact apart, as it has some extra features for organ playing (half moon switch connector, physical drawbars, live drawbar setting) vs. the two other models: HP 76 and HA 88. It seems you'd like to compare to the 88 keybed. But what exactly would you like to know?
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby anotherscott » 07 Jul 2020, 21:23

The Stage 3 HA and HP models have hammer mechanisms, which better simulate the feel of a piano, The Compact uses a completely different design, with the resistance provided by a coiled spring.

You can see diagrams here:

HA action: http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_40_GH_ES.htm

HP action: http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP100LR.html

SW action: http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_8O.htm
anotherscott

Postby macinjazz » 05 Feb 2021, 02:01

I can barely push the keys down on the S3Compact, except when I use high trigger on the organ... The Electro D's use the same action as the S3Compact, but the springs are much lighter. If you can get your hands on a set of those springs you can swap them out yourself with a little patience.
macinjazz

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby FZiegler » 05 Feb 2021, 09:34

macinjazz wrote:I can barely push the keys down on the S3Compact, except when I use high trigger on the organ... The Electro D's use the same action as the S3Compact, but the springs are much lighter. If you can get your hands on a set of those springs you can swap them out yourself with a little patience.

My impression is much different from yours. I'd describe the action of my NS3C as "not light, but slightly stiff in a pleasing way, very easy to play". And I didn't have the impression that it differed much from the NE6D that I played at my dealer's.
If ever you recommend to change the springs, wouldn't you have to add a warning not to damage the aftertouch ribbon?
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby Kaffimusic » 05 Feb 2021, 13:48

The keys on the compact have a feel that I prefer. While you know about piano-keys, I guess I do not need to explain those. The waterfall keys are somewhat closer to synth-keys but, the big difference to synth keys is - as it is also to "real" waterfall-keys - the spring is harder. It needs more force to push them down. But since they keys itself are lighter than a pianokey, you just have the spring to hold you back - but not the weight with the resistance of the mass of a weighted pianokey, that has to be set in motion. You understand the difference? The mass of a key is the biggest resistance as soon as you start to hammer pretty fast lines. Though the springs are harder, the compact-keys are still fast to play, and most of all, you do not rip your skin off while you want to do organ-style smears on the keys.There is also not that typical "klick" feel of organ-keys, the lower end is dampened, you land soft and also the aftertouch is good to control.
I consider myself as a pure "quality-synth-keybed" type, I do not like pianokeys. The compact-keys do not feel cheap to me and I understand the stronger springs as a way to satisfy the more piano-oriented guys. I am a bit surprised how well I get along with that.
Last edited by Kaffimusic on 05 Feb 2021, 13:57, edited 2 times in total.
Bragging with gear.
Kurzweil PC361, PC3k6, PC4-7, K2, Yam Motif7+ES6, SY77, MM6, DX7 II, ProphetREV2, Polybrute, Roland V-Synth, Waldorf Q, Bgr.Model D, Novation Ultranova, 2xNova Desktop, Mininova, Modal Argon8, UnoSynthPro, Dbox Nymphes, Akai MPC One
Kaffimusic

Postby aureliopenna » 05 Feb 2021, 16:26

IMHO, I loved the waterfall keys action from NS2C but hate the NS3C. I can't explain EXACTLY why, but even they are the same, they don't feel the same to me.
In NS3C I feel more painfull, stiff and hard to play and get the right sound response from what you're playing. I never felt this way with NS2C, it always sounds what I've meant in my playing.
As I said, can't tell you why, just can tell what is it to me. Never, after a couple of years, felt confortable with NS3C keybed (as well how the pianos sounds) as I did with NS2C.
aureliopenna

Postby anotherscott » 05 Feb 2021, 16:45

FZiegler wrote:If ever you recommend to change the springs, wouldn't you have to add a warning not to damage the aftertouch ribbon?

There are a number of ribbon connectors you have to be careful not to damage any time you open up the board. Though if you are talking about the aftertouch strip itself, it is not near the springs.
anotherscott

Postby FZiegler » 05 Feb 2021, 18:01

I see. Thanks!
FZiegler
Donator

Postby DJKeys » 05 Feb 2021, 18:42

I have had my NS3C for over three years and have no issues with the action. Feels exactly the same as my NS2 which I had for 5 years.

-duj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator