Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Sustain the upper part B Electro 5d

Postby tatumsales » 05 Jul 2020, 17:11

I have an Electro 5d 73 with waterfall keys. I'm looking for instructions on how to sustain the upper part b ( mostly a pad) througout a song, while playing the white grand on part A.
I believe this is a fairly simple setup, but have not been able to find it. Cheers.
tatumsales

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Sustain the upper part B Electro 5d

Sponsor

Re: Sustain the upper part B Electro 5d

Postby fieldflower » 05 Jul 2020, 21:13

Need to understand better what it is You're trying to do...
- Do You mean to use the sustain pedal only for the B part?
- Or do You mean having a chord sustain indefinitely on part B while You're playing piano and using the sustain pedal on part A?
- Or do You mean long release on the part B stuff?
- And probably more variants...

The author fieldflower was thanked by:
tatumsales
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Postby Lunarproductions » 06 Jul 2020, 12:12

sustain pedal is universal, use a long release on the synth section

The author Lunarproductions was thanked by:
tatumsales
Lunarproductions

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby fieldflower » 06 Jul 2020, 13:17

Lunarproductions wrote:sustain pedal is universal...

Well... it's selectable per part to use the sustain pedal or not, so You can do all kinds of fun combinations with different sounds.

I use it a lot to blend in some long chord organ in choruses for some piano songs piano.
Usually utilizing the sustain pedal on both part A and B, but for choppy piano over sweeping organ it's great to set sustain pedal to only the organ part and not the piano part.
But sweeping synth sounds over piano could also be done by having the sustain pedal only on the piano part, while using long release in the synth section.

It's all about what the desired is, hence my question what that desire is...

Also the control pedal is a great tool to control sweeping organ or synth overlays mid-song, in combination with the different sustain possibilities.

The author fieldflower was thanked by 2 members, including:
Lunarproductionstatumsales
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Postby tatumsales » 06 Jul 2020, 18:23

Thanks "fieldflower"

having a chord sustain indefinitely on part B while You're playing piano and using the sustain pedal on part A.
tatumsales

Postby fieldflower » 06 Jul 2020, 19:22

tatumsales wrote:Thanks "fieldflower"

having a chord sustain indefinitely on part B while You're playing piano and using the sustain pedal on part A.

Hm, so You want to be able to play a bunch of other stuff over the top of a simple chord that just rings.
And I guess You want to use notes for piano outside of the sustaining sample chord...?

If using double keybeds to MIDI trigger the sample sound separate from the piano playing it's kinda doable, by using full Release.
Or if You can dedicate a split section of the NE5 keybed for just triggering that chord it's kinda doable, also by using full Release. Can be a really small section top or bottom as long as You get to the tones You need.

I'm saying "kinda" above because even with full Release there's a limit to how long any sample rings, so You'd have to retrigger the ringing chord now and then.
And the problem with using full Release is that You can't make the chord stop whenever You want, except by quickly turning Release down and up again. Works, but not a hundred times mid-song.
If You can play the piano part without sustain, You could of course use the sustain pedal strictly for the sample sound, but it didn't sound like that was what You were after.

But actually, if You have the additional MIDI keyboard You could actually hold the sample chord with the sustain pedal from that keyboard, and change pretty easily.
That would be a fully functioning solution - just have to be very organized so to use double sustain pedals without slipups.

But if You need the full NE5 keybed for playing the piano and don't intend to lug around a second board to MIDI trigger the sample sound I don't see any way to NOT have the sample also play all the stuff the piano is doing.

(If You just want a ringing chord of sample/organ to sustain behind playing the same notes on piano the easiest solution is to set Sustain pedal to both parts A and B. Then when You step off the sustain pedal to tackle the next chord on the piano the organ/sample chord will also stop and resume on the new chord the piano plays. I do this a lot, bringing in some organ here and there with the control pedal in piano songs.)
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Postby fieldflower » 06 Jul 2020, 19:31

Here is a crappy phone video of me playing a piano song, and adding organ for choruses with the control pedal.
Here both piano and organ are using the sustain pedal, which makes the organ a smooth background to the piano playing.
Using a pedal to control Leslie speed, so kinda need 3 feet here and there. :roll:

Have no idea how to link Facebook videos, so simple link here: https://www.facebook.com/StrangeCrewSE/ ... 148116634/
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Electro Forum