Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Notes randomly hitting peak velocity

Postby Projet Xion » 28 Jun 2020, 21:17

I was about to buy the Nord Piano 4 but this kind of informarion scares me too!
Is there someone here who own a NP4 and didn't noticed any bug? I hope all units are not concerned...
Your comments are recent so not sure Nord has fixed the problem!
Now what about the other brands?
Maybe the Yamaha CP88 or other Korg SV-2 have bugs too.
Last edited by Projet Xion on 28 Jun 2020, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Projet Xion
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 28 Jun 2020, 11:31
Country: France
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Notes randomly hitting peak velocity


Sponsor
 

Re: Notes randomly hitting peak velocity

Postby baekgaard » 28 Jun 2020, 23:15

I've never had that problem on any Nord (including the NP4). It may be a combination of keyboard, dust, use, style, ... but it certainly doesn't seem like a frequent issue that all experience.

Sent from my phone in brevity
baekgaard
 
Posts: 1484
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 11:32
Country: Denmark
Has thanked: 561 times
Been thanked: 654 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Notes randomly hitting peak velocity

Postby maxpiano » 29 Jun 2020, 06:25

Projet Xion wrote:I was about to buy the Nord Piano 4 but this kind of informarion scares me too!
Is there someone here who own a NP4 and didn't noticed any bug? I hope all units are not concerned...
Your comments are recent so not sure Nord has fixed the problem!
Now what about the other brands?
Maybe the Yamaha CP88 or other Korg SV-2 have bugs too.


In general, consider that people who have issues write their complaints on forums and/or ask for help, while most of those who are happy and have no problems just use their things (this is true for any product and any related technical forum of any kind) so...

(As an analogy: do you stop driving your car because there are a few incidents every day on the streets reported in the news, some of which involve your car model or similar?)

Warranty and return rights for online purchases are there to protect the consumers from any native defect of a good, so there is no reason to be worried in case of a new instrument (or used but still under a warranty). Special care for used instruments, of course, but that's a different story.
Last edited by maxpiano on 29 Jun 2020, 07:33, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
maxpiano
Patch Creator
 
Posts: 3685
Joined: 27 Jun 2011, 13:29
Location: Italy
Country: Italy
Has thanked: 263 times
Been thanked: 1239 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Re: Notes randomly hitting peak velocity

Postby Projet Xion » 29 Jun 2020, 10:11

You're right but when you watch this video comparison between the CP88 and the NS3 you wonder if it worth it to take a Nord. The guy is speaking about the velocity high end bug so it doesn't seem to be so rare.

https://youtu.be/jwYAv5fNUro

Anyway like you say we have the warranty but it' s a little bit fastidious to return this kind of instruments.
Last edited by Projet Xion on 29 Jun 2020, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
Projet Xion
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 28 Jun 2020, 11:31
Country: France
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Notes randomly hitting peak velocity

Postby baekgaard » 29 Jun 2020, 12:58

You need to act upon your own convictions, of course!

But even if I've been around here for some years, I don't remember having heard about this particular issue (which apparently isn't limited to Nord instruments) before that video started to circulate, so I would be a bit careful with generalising this particular persons opinions and experiences.

I'm not saying the issue isn't real, just that it may be overblown a bit in proportion to how frequent it happens in real life.

In some cases, the resulting FUD may actually be more painful than the issue itself :-)

Anyway, just trying to bring some balance into the discussion.

Sent from my phone in brevity
baekgaard
 
Posts: 1484
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 11:32
Country: Denmark
Has thanked: 561 times
Been thanked: 654 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Notes randomly hitting peak velocity

Postby Hlaalu » 29 Jun 2020, 16:40

Projet Xion wrote:The guy is speaking about the velocity high end bug so it doesn't seem to be so rare.


This doesn't make much sense to be honest. Precisely because (only) THIS guy is speaking about it you shouldn't generalize and conclude that it's not uncommon.

That video always pops up. This issue has been talked about a bit on this forum, not limited to a particular Nord model and not even to Nord as a brand. If you hammer a (black) key very fast with two fingers, eventually a loud note will come out. That's about what it is and I've yet to find anybody who thinks this could possibly turn out to be problematic in any style of playing. The guy in the video has the slight tendency, in my opinion, to theatralize too much of what he says, in general, so that this seems to be a bigger issue than it is.
Hlaalu
 
Posts: 95
Joined: 13 Jan 2020, 16:05
Country: Italy
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 14 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Re: Notes randomly hitting peak velocity

Postby Projet Xion » 29 Jun 2020, 18:30

Hlaalu wrote:
Projet Xion wrote:The guy is speaking about the velocity high end bug so it doesn't seem to be so rare.


This doesn't make much sense to be honest. Precisely because (only) THIS guy is speaking about it you shouldn't generalize and conclude that it's not uncommon.

That video always pops up. This issue has been talked about a bit on this forum, not limited to a particular Nord model and not even to Nord as a brand. If you hammer a (black) key very fast with two fingers, eventually a loud note will come out. That's about what it is and I've yet to find anybody who thinks this could possibly turn out to be problematic in any style of playing. The guy in the video has the slight tendency, in my opinion, to theatralize too much of what he says, in general, so that this seems to be a bigger issue than it is.

I agree with you Hlaalu, nobody double tap very fast on a key while paying in real conditions.
Some people (even on this topic) speak about broken keys but I suppose it's very marginal too.

I try to do my choice between the NP4 and the Yamaha CP88. When you are searching on the web you always find some people with bad experience.
I have just noticed everybody love the sound library of the Nord units and some people are disappointed with the keyboard action. For the CP88 it's rather the opposite!
Last edited by Projet Xion on 29 Jun 2020, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Projet Xion
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 28 Jun 2020, 11:31
Country: France
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Notes randomly hitting peak velocity

Postby frapi » 02 Jul 2020, 09:15

After having visited my dealer with my NG, they have sent it to the North service center in my country.
When it returns, I'll report back with what they found and what they did to address the issue.

If you hammer a (black) key very fast with two fingers, eventually a loud note will come out.


If it was just that, I would be fine with it. Unfortunately, in my situation it occurs on white and black keys and during runs as well as chords.
It occurs with a key that I have previously played, but certainly doesn't require fast repetitive usage of that key.

In case you haven't run into this issue, I would certainly not worry and just enjoy this great instrument.
When my piano returns and the issue has been addressed, I will do exactly that.
frapi
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 24 Jun 2020, 19:19
Country: Netherlands
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests