Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Notes randomly hitting peak velocity

Postby baekgaard » 28 Jun 2020, 23:15

I've never had that problem on any Nord (including the NP4). It may be a combination of keyboard, dust, use, style, ... but it certainly doesn't seem like a frequent issue that all experience.

Sent from my phone in brevity
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby maxpiano » 29 Jun 2020, 06:25

Projet Xion wrote:I was about to buy the Nord Piano 4 but this kind of informarion scares me too!
Is there someone here who own a NP4 and didn't noticed any bug? I hope all units are not concerned...
Your comments are recent so not sure Nord has fixed the problem!
Now what about the other brands?
Maybe the Yamaha CP88 or other Korg SV-2 have bugs too.

In general, consider that people who have issues write their complaints on forums and/or ask for help, while most of those who are happy and have no problems just use their things (this is true for any product and any related technical forum of any kind) so...

(As an analogy: do you stop driving your car because there are a few incidents every day on the streets reported in the news, some of which involve your car model or similar?)

Warranty and return rights for online purchases are there to protect the consumers from any native defect of a good, so there is no reason to be worried in case of a new instrument (or used but still under a warranty). Special care for used instruments, of course, but that's a different story.
Last edited by maxpiano on 29 Jun 2020, 07:33, edited 4 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Projet Xion » 29 Jun 2020, 10:11

You're right but when you watch this video comparison between the CP88 and the NS3 you wonder if it worth it to take a Nord. The guy is speaking about the velocity high end bug so it doesn't seem to be so rare.

https://youtu.be/jwYAv5fNUro

Anyway like you say we have the warranty but it' s a little bit fastidious to return this kind of instruments.
Last edited by Projet Xion on 29 Jun 2020, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
Projet Xion

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Postby baekgaard » 29 Jun 2020, 12:58

You need to act upon your own convictions, of course!

But even if I've been around here for some years, I don't remember having heard about this particular issue (which apparently isn't limited to Nord instruments) before that video started to circulate, so I would be a bit careful with generalising this particular persons opinions and experiences.

I'm not saying the issue isn't real, just that it may be overblown a bit in proportion to how frequent it happens in real life.

In some cases, the resulting FUD may actually be more painful than the issue itself :-)

Anyway, just trying to bring some balance into the discussion.

Sent from my phone in brevity
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Projet Xion » 29 Jun 2020, 18:30

Hlaalu wrote:
Projet Xion wrote:The guy is speaking about the velocity high end bug so it doesn't seem to be so rare.

This doesn't make much sense to be honest. Precisely because (only) THIS guy is speaking about it you shouldn't generalize and conclude that it's not uncommon.

That video always pops up. This issue has been talked about a bit on this forum, not limited to a particular Nord model and not even to Nord as a brand. If you hammer a (black) key very fast with two fingers, eventually a loud note will come out. That's about what it is and I've yet to find anybody who thinks this could possibly turn out to be problematic in any style of playing. The guy in the video has the slight tendency, in my opinion, to theatralize too much of what he says, in general, so that this seems to be a bigger issue than it is.

I agree with you Hlaalu, nobody double tap very fast on a key while paying in real conditions.
Some people (even on this topic) speak about broken keys but I suppose it's very marginal too.

I try to do my choice between the NP4 and the Yamaha CP88. When you are searching on the web you always find some people with bad experience.
I have just noticed everybody love the sound library of the Nord units and some people are disappointed with the keyboard action. For the CP88 it's rather the opposite!
Last edited by Projet Xion on 29 Jun 2020, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Projet Xion

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Postby frapi » 02 Jul 2020, 09:15

After having visited my dealer with my NG, they have sent it to the North service center in my country.
When it returns, I'll report back with what they found and what they did to address the issue.

If you hammer a (black) key very fast with two fingers, eventually a loud note will come out.

If it was just that, I would be fine with it. Unfortunately, in my situation it occurs on white and black keys and during runs as well as chords.
It occurs with a key that I have previously played, but certainly doesn't require fast repetitive usage of that key.

In case you haven't run into this issue, I would certainly not worry and just enjoy this great instrument.
When my piano returns and the issue has been addressed, I will do exactly that.
frapi

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Postby frapi » 21 Jul 2020, 16:44

Just to report that my Nord Grand is back, repaired and all.
No specifics on the actual findings, but a mere global description that the issue in the key bed was addressed.

So far, I've not had the issue recurring. Assuming (fingers crossed) that it stays that way, so I can focus on what it's all about: making music.

The author frapi was thanked by:
Tasten-Bert
frapi

Postby Tasten-Bert » 21 Jul 2020, 17:17

Thank you, frapi, for keeping us updated. All the best and good luck. Sunny regards from Germany
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby RuudVincent » 23 Jul 2020, 12:00

Well I have had this exact issue with mij Nord Electro HA.
Happend a few times.
I was planning to buy the grand because of the much better performance keybed.
I do hesitate. For such a instrument you must rely on the keys IMO
RuudVincent

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby frapi » 24 Jul 2020, 09:07

Unfortunately, the volume issue is still there in my Nord Grand. Where I initially focussed completely on trying to reproduce the peak volume issue, I find that in normal playing the keybed actually is worse than before the reparation. When playing normal force/volume and trying to emphasize a single note a bit, that single note gets way too loud. There is a complete disconnect between what I play and what I hear.

Looks like they certainly did something to the keybed, but not for the good. Have contacted my dealer again and he has contacted Nord ('We've never heard of this keybed issue with the Nord Grand...') and the service center ('The issue in the keybed is fixed...'). The dealer is certainly helpful/understanding and is looking for possible ways out of this.
Will keep you updated when I have more information.
frapi

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum